Senior diver wins national championship

Tom Davidson wins 1-meter, 2rd in 3-meter

Senior Tom Davidson fought through the most talented competition in the country on his way to his U.S. Diving Championships national title.\nDavidson followed up Friday's second-place finish in the 3-meter diving competition with a national title on the 1-meter board by topping defending champion Troy Dumais of Texas and Jevon Tarantino of Coral Springs Saturday. Davidson received five eights, an 8.5 and a 9.5 on his final dive to capture the title and 423.39 points. Tarantino finished with 383.67. \nThe victory gives Davidson a chance to represent the United States in the World Championships in July. It also means Davidson will compete with Tarantino on the U.S. Goodwill Games team in September. \nDavidson will also represent the United States at the Goodwill games on the 3-meter board. Dumais bested Davidson in the 3-meter by a 678.51-618.93 final. 2000 Olympian Mark Ruiz finished third in the 3-meter with 613.59 points. \nThe women's team was also represented at the meet. \nSenior Erin Quinn and junior Sara Reiling combined for a second-place finish on the 3-meter synchronized board with 243.21 points, 25 points behind the champions. Freshman Cassandra Cardinell and junior Crystal Gregory finished third with 241.05 points.