PC terms accomplish nothing

The San Diego City Council is now the worst team in San Diego. Forget about the Chargers and the Padres; the council is making decisions that are actually worse than drafting Ryan Leaf.\nThe recent "Leaf-like" decision concerns the word "minority" in official documents. The San Diego City Council decided the word was "disparaging," and it will not be used in any city documents or in any discussions. \nThe word you are searching for right now is "bizarre." That is the only word that can describe what the council is doing.\nThe word "minority" is defined in Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary as "the smaller in number of two groups constituting a whole." I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound that disparaging to me. \nThe interesting thing about this "minority" ban is that the council's decision was unanimous. And the popularity of this ban is what makes it scary. It appears no one on the council thought twice before making this decision. Not one council member questioned the idea before every council member decided to follow the butt of the lemming in front of him. \nI'll be the first to admit that it would not have been politically savvy for anyone on that council to vote against such a politically correct ban. But this PC garbage has to stop somewhere, and this seemed like a good place for the bouncer of common sense to throw the PC guy out on his metaphorical head.\n"Minority" is just a word. It doesn't have to have a negative connotation. It just means that whoever is in this group is not in the majority. And there are too many minority groups in this country for the word to be only negative.\nFor example, the student enrollment at IU is 52.5 percent female. That means the male students are in the minority. So if we use the San Diego City Council's logic, people on this campus believe the male students are inferior to the females. We could even say that less is expected of male students. This is the type of argument the council presented when it passed its decision.\nBut I'm not really here to bash the San Diego City Council. Its intentions are good, but its decision is not going to solve anything. The council might as well pass a decree granting peace on earth and good will toward men. \nWhat the council and lovers of PC need to see is that people who want to break others into groups based on race, class or any other category are going to do it no matter what a law says. Racists are not going to feel the effects of a "minority" ban.\nThe people who are going to have the most problems are going to be those who are already speaking like they're walking on broken glass. Those who take the time to recognize and accept the differences between people are going to be the ones who suffer the most. They will be the ones who are punished for making a conversational slip, and slips are easier to come by when rules sprout up more often than bacteria on a petri dish.\nNo matter what the San Diego City Council is thinking, it is not going to solve our PC problems. What it is doing does not really serve the greater good. The council is doing something of which popular opinion is not in favor. \nWell, that's what the council members would call it. We'd simply say their opinion was in the minority.