Johnson can't wait to race in her first and only Little 500

Kappa Alpha Theta rider sat out as team won 2000 race

While she was moving from Oklahoma to Washington to southern California and eventually to Indianapolis, Kappa Alpha Theta senior Krissy Johnson never got on a bike, except for a ten-speed she had when she was little. Now Johnson is one of the fastest riders on the Bill Armstrong Stadium track and will be leading the defending Little 500 champions Friday. \nJohnson said she really didn't even have an interest in riding bikes until she joined her sorority sophomore year. As one of the first sororities to participate in the women's version of the race, Johnson said it was the team's legacy and success that peaked her interest. \nOn a bike ride her sophomore year with Theta alumna and member of last year's winning squad Anne Holterhoff, Johnson decided she needed to be a member of the team.\n"The two vets on the team took us in," Johnson said. "It was something that fit my interest and my personality." \nHolterhoff said once Johnson finally got on a bike, it was hard to get her off. Johnson had a few setbacks before she could join the Thetas. She didn't have a bike of her own, and once she finally got one, it was stolen. But Johnson wasn't deterred and continued to train with the team.\nJohnson rode in the series events last year, placing sixth in Individual Times Trials and fifth in Miss-N-Out, but because the Theta team was full of strong seniors, Johnson had to sit out last year's race. She said the experience was frustrating.\n"I wanted to race on race day more than anything," Johnson said. "Race day was fun (last year), and I was real proud of my team, but I wanted to be out there."\nHolterhoff said it was a tough decision telling one of the fastest riders in Bloomington to sit the bench for the year's biggest event.\n"We had five riders that all performed so well in the series events," Holterhoff said. "It was the right decision for last year."\nThis year, Johnson will get her chance in the 14th running of the women's race as she leads the Thetas in their attempt to repeat. She placed second in Individual Time Trials and Miss-N-Out while the Theta team were runners-up in Team Pursuit. \n"She has an added incentive to do well," senior teammate Brett Gentile said. "She has excelled in everything she has done and really turned into a great track rider."\nHolterhoff said that missing out in last year's race has given her the motivation and drive to be successful this year. \n"(Johnson) wasn't born a superstar athlete, but she has worked hard and wants to win," Holterhoff said. "That's her driving force. She's the type of person that every coach would love to have."\nAlthough this will be Johnson's first Little 500, she said she doesn't feel like a rookie.\n"I feel like I learned so much from last year," Johnson said. "The series events help you to learn how to ride with others. It builds confidence."\nBy stressing that confidence, team unity and a caring for one another, Gentile said Johnson has created an atmosphere that pushes the entire team to win.\n"(The race) means that much more to us," Gentile said. "Whatever personal reasons we have, we want to do well for each other." \nJohnson agreed and said this year is special to her and her teammates because this is the first time they will all be on the track at the same time in the race. \n"We started together and this is our year to ride together," Johnson said. "We have a cool connection. We're prepared for the race"