IU squeezes by Butler with 2 late goals

Noonan narrowly misses 2 shots, but Mack nets 2 tallies in spring season victory

It took two late goals for IU to beat its in-state rival Butler 2-1 Wednesday night in a spring soccer match at North Central High School in Indianapolis. \nJunior Ryan Mack scored both goals in the win.\nThe game was a battle of defenses; neither team was able to find the back of the net until less than 20 minutes remained. Sophomore Pat Noonan had two shots off the woodwork early on, one hitting the post and the other clanging off the crossbar. As the game began to look as if it would end on a 0-0 tie, Butler got on the board with 17 minutes remaining. Butler came down the left side of the field and served the ball into the near post, where it was headed into the opposite corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage. \nThe Butler goal seemed to spark the Hoosier offense. Just three minutes later, Mack scored to tie the game. Sophomore Michael Bock took a shot from the middle of the penalty box, which was deflected to junior Tyler Hawley on the right side. Hawley's service deflected to Mack at the top of the penalty box and Mack drilled the ball past the Butler keeper into the lower left corner of the goal.\nMomentum shifted the Hoosiers' direction, and with less than five minutes until the final horn, Mack beat two defenders off the dribble and tucked the ball into the back post, putting IU up for good. Mack has tallied two goals and three assists during the Hoosiers' four games this spring.\n"We are happy to come here and use one of our spring games to benefit the Special Olympics," said IU coach Jerry Yeagley. "We are still working to see where our strengths and weaknesses are and what holes we need to fill for the upcoming fall season."\nIndiana will play its final two games of the spring season Saturday in Columbus, Ohio. The Hoosiers will battle Cincinnati at 11 a.m. and finish the day against Notre Dame at 2 p.m.