Hoosiers gain high rankings at Sea Ray Relay events

After the first day of competition at the Sea Ray Relays, IU showed why it was ranked sixth on the Team Power Rankings. \nAthletes from 117 schools competed at the meet at the University of Tennessee last weekend, but the Hoosiers never got lost in the crowd.\nOnce again, the Hoosier sprinters showed their depth with sophomore Danielle Carruthers automatically qualifying for the NCAA Outdoor Track Championships with a third-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles.\nSophomore Rachelle Boone captured the victory in the 100-meters and provisionally qualified. Boone also took seventh in the 200-meters.\nAlso placing seventh were senior Lorraine Dunlop in the 100-meters and junior Tia Trent in the 400-meters.\nSophomore javelin thrower Irina Kharun provisionally qualified for the fourth time this season and placed third with a season-best throw.\nThree top-five finishes, one automatic and two provisional marks after the first day was not enough for the Hoosiers.\nSophomore Tandra Foster took second in the long jump and she now owns the third best jumps on IU's indoor and outdoor track record lists.\nFellow long jumper Rose Richmond earned sixth place and also ran a leg of the second place finishing 4x100 relay team.\nIU's half-milers also showed its strength claiming fourth in the 4x800-meter relay.\nThe Hoosiers open conference competition in a dual meet against Illinois this weekend.