Hoosiers capture sweep in flawless performance

Junior pitcher throws Hoosier's first no-hitter since 1990

Dominating defense, flawless pitching and clutch hitting. For most of its season, the softball squad has wondered where these have been. IU (15-32) found them Tuesday at the IU Softball Field, in its first series sweep of the season in a doubleheader against Miami (Ohio) 1-0, 3-2.\nIt was a day of heroes for the Hoosiers.\nIn the first game, IU's defense and pitching helped junior Alison Cooke throw the first no-hitter of her career.\n"I came out really relaxed today and worked the corners," Cooke said. "I found where the (umpire) liked it and just worked it."\nIt wasn't until late in the game when Cooke realized she was working on the first Hoosier no-hitter since 1990.\n"I hadn't realized it until the sixth or seventh inning, and then I was like, 'Don't lose this now,'" Cooke said.\nCoach Diane Stephenson said the entire defense deserves credit.\n"Everyone is the hero when you throw a no-hitter," Stephenson said. "Obviously, it takes a great pitching performance, but it takes a great effort from everyone to make something like this happen." \nThe Hoosiers got the only offense they needed in the bottom of the third, off clutch hitting by sophomore shortstop Lisa Mattke.\nFreshman third baseman Abby Stark opened up the inning with a walk. Sophomore Katie Joy leftfielder sacrificed Stark to second. After a passed ball sent Stark to third, Mattke followed with a single to left-center, scoring Stark.\nIn the second game, sophomore Heather Suca was the heroine.\nShe started off her memorable game with a diving grab to end the first inning, saving two runs.\n"That was a great play," Stephenson said. "Heather has had a great year defensively, and she deserved to get that break."\nThe RedHawks scored two runs in the third inning off freshman Heather Stillians.\nBut IU knotted up the score in the bottom of the sixth, with an RBI double by junior catcher Brooke Monroe, scoring Mattke, followed by a single by sophomore Stormy Hanson, which scored Monroe after a throwing error by Miami third baseman Nicki Pelfrey.\nIn the bottom of the seventh inning, Suca came through again. With junior Monique Bullock on third and two outs, Suca fell in the count 0-2. She battled back and came through with a slapper to third, which took a hop six feet in the air over Pelfrey's head, scoring Monroe.\n"I was just trying to put the ball on the ground and make something happen," Suca said. "I didn't know what happened. I was running thinking, 'Great they got me out.' Then I heard everybody screaming."\nStephenson said the lucky bounce was a break for the Hoosiers.\n"That was well-placed rocks," Stephenson said. "We haven't had very many opportunities for someone to step up to the plate and be a hero. (Suca) did today."\nThe Hoosiers hope the sweep of Miami gives them some confidence to close out the season on a positive note, heading into today's doubleheader at Ball State.\n"I think these are big wins for the team," Cooke said. "To come back and show ourselves we can put it all together, that gives us some momentum going into tomorrow and this next weekend"