Hoosier novice team wins 1 race at Indiana Cup

With competition increasing, the rowing team managed one win at Saturday's Indiana Cup.\n"The novice are good strong kids," coach Mark Wilson said. "The varsity are still young, strong kids, and we only lose one from the varsity eight. \n"I don't want to keep thinking in the future, in the future, but that's where our program is going. Racing good teams like this is what's important. I guess that's kind of the essence of our season," Wilson said.\nThe novice four gave IU the only win of the day, finishing in 8:23.0 minutes to Notre Dame's 8:29.0. \nThe novice eight boasted the closest field, with three boats finishing within 10 seconds of each other. Notre Dame, Tennessee, IU and Purdue each had a shot at the win at the 1,500-meter mark, until Notre Dame surged ahead. The Irish pulled away from the field to take first. Purdue placed second, with Indiana following in third and Tennessee bringing it in for a fourth-place finish.\nIn the Varsity eight. Notre Dame's No. 14 boat finished the 2,000-meter course first in 6:32.60, but not without a fight from Tennessee. The Lady Vols threatened the lead but finished second in 6:42.53. Indiana edged out Purdue by 1.2 seconds for third in 6:51.50.\nIn the Varsity four race the Hoosiers finished in third place, clocking 8:29.44. Tennessee won the race in 7:56.9 while Notre Dame claimed second in 8:14.19.\n"Obviously, we would have liked to (win) more races," Wilson said. "The teams that are here are really strong teams. Tennessee did a great job today. They are a new program, and the last couple of years they've been more on our par. This year they made a step up, and I think with us being a young team we're going to step up in the next two years"