Defending champs reload, ready for race

Defending women's champions Kappa Alpha Theta fill out Row 3 along with all-rookie team Single Speed Sprinters and up-and-coming Kappa Delta. The Thetas and Kappa Delta have returned half of their riders, while the Sprinters hope to surprise people.\nKappa Delta (2:59.87)\nThree veterans and a rookie round out Kappa Delta. Senior Tania Hults has raced in two Little 500s, while sophomores Heidi Marshall and Kim Gerbers and junior Lisa Goranson have ridden in one each. Goranson last rode for McNutt Quad in 1999 but tore her ACL last year and didn't compete. Freshman Erin White is the team's only rookie.\n"We're really close, and we have a very competitive edge while having fun," Hults said. "We have four of the most distinct personalities, but we respect the differences that make us better as a team."\nKappa Alpha Theta (3:01.56)\nThe Thetas keep reloading.\nAfter losing two all-star riders to graduation, last year's champions stock up with two veterans and two "rookies" who have trained with the team. The Thetas lost all-star Anne Holteroff as a rider, but gained her as a coach.\n"We have a good base this year, especially with four people returning," said senior Sara Coffman, a 2000 Rookie of the Year. "Two of us have been in the race before, so we know what's going to happen and how it goes, where to be in the pack and stuff like that."\nBoth of the Theta rookies -- senior Krissy Johnson and junior Jeanne Foote -- trained with the team last year and placed within the top 15 at Individual Time Trials. Johnson nipped second, and Foote finished 15th at ITTs. Coffman and senior Brett Gentile, another 2000 Rookie of the Year, round out the team's lineup.\nThe Thetas aren't bothered by their qualification outside of the top five. Last year, the Thetas qualified 11th before capturing the crown.\n"I think we're going to be fine because we qualified 11th last year, and I think the whole point for us is to get out from where we are as soon as possible," Coffman said.\nSingle Speed Sprinters (3:02.30)\nWith four riders, the rookies from the residence halls finished less than a second slower than 2000 champion Kappa Alpha Theta. The problem is that injuries have jolted the Single Speed Sprinters to only two riders in the past few weeks.\nTeammate Adriana Guerrero has already visited the emergency room twice for hard falls, including one that caused a concussion and pulled ligaments in her wrist. She won't ride in Friday's race. Freshman Monica Zycinski, the younger sister of 2000 Rookie of the Year Mike Zycinski, broke her collarbone after clipping teammate Annika Hosni's bike during Team Pursuits. She most likely won't race Friday. \nThat leaves sophomore Rachel Clark, who has no previous biking experience, and Hosni, who's ridden in triathlons. \nThe two will have to make at least five exchanges during the 100 laps of the race.\n"They'll be able to ride, but they're more in it for pride," Zycinski said. "We don't have any replacements. They're strong riders, and they've been working so hard, so they're not going to give up"