Beatty leads Phi Delta Theta

A team with two of the top riders, a team that could be a darkhorse and a team that surprised many observers with its qualifying attempt will start from Row 2.\nPhi Delta Theta (2:34.09)\nMany people involved with the Little 500 respect Phi Delta Theta senior Josh Beatty. But those who respect him the most could be the people he trains with daily -- his teammates.\n"He is probably one of the most knowledgeable riders," Phi Delta Theta junior Matt Marketti said. "He helps us tremendously during the race. He knows when to push it and when to relax for a while. It's beneficial to have him on our side."\nBeatty's list of credentials includes two consecutive Miss-N-Out titles, a victory in this year's Individual Time Trials and leading Phi Delta Theta to a top-five finish in last year's race. But what often gets lost in Beatty's resume is the impact he has on his teammates. \n"I pretty much owe everything to Beatty," Marketti said. "He's pretty much my mentor, so whatever I do is credible to him. I\'m just happy to have him on my side. I love the guy."\nAlpha Tau Omega (2:34.68)\nLooking for a darkhorse is this year\'s field? Alpha Tau Omega might be a good choice.\nAlpha Tau Omega qualified fifth and senior Wesley Kelley said he likes the team's chances.\n"We know we have been putting a lot in all season, and it's kind of nice being a little bit of a darkhorse this year," Kelley said. "We're happy, but we know the pressure is on to perform just as well in the race."\nWhile many contenders spent the weeks leading up to the race deciding on a lineup, Alpha Tau Omega was practicing with the same four-man rotation.\nThe team consists of three experienced riders, junior Shawn Monroe, senior Jack Caveney and Kelley. Joining the returning riders is freshman Adam Hiatt. \n"We know who our four are, and we know that if one of us is slacking off, we know who to get on," Kelley said. "We know that there's not going to be that extra person there to back him up in case he falls short."\nBriscoe Blur (2:37.10)\nThere were many surprises during men's qualifications, including the slow times teams posted, the defending champion Cutters qualifying 25th and the exchange problems that plagued potential contenders.\nSome riders and fans considered the Briscoe Blur posting a time of 2:37.10 and earning the sixth spot a surprise. But the members training with the all-rookie team weren't shocked by their successful qualifying attempt.\n"Obviously we surprised a lot of people," freshman James Bezy said. "But we kind of knew we had it in us if we pushed ourselves and put all the work we have done in the past to use."\nJunior Nathan Hartman and senior Jim Huntsinger, resident assistants in Briscoe Quad, were the first to join the team. Hartman and Huntsinger posted flyers throughout the dorm to find two more riders and after some personnel changes, Bezy and freshman Travis Scheiwe completed the team.\nDespite its qualifying time, Hartman said the team is struggling to earn the respect of other teams. \n"I think people still think we're a fluke," Hartman said. "It takes years to earn respect, not just a place or position"