Feminist songwriter to perform free show

"It's time to choose to selectively use what we have been given without giving in." - Allette Brooks\nWith that logo imprinted on all of her music, singer and songwriter Allette Brooks has been called a rebel and an inspiration to women, with her politically charged lyrics and independent way of observing and commenting on society as a whole.\nIn concordance with Women's History Month, Brooks will perform Thursday evening in the Collins Center Cheshire Cafe for a night of music co-sponsored by the IU Women's Student Association and the Collins Living Learning Center Arts Council.\n"We felt bringing Allette Brooks as part of Women's History Month was appropriate because we believe women's history is being made every day," said WSA co-president and senior Angela Bole. "Allette is a great example of this; her music is making an impact that will resonate."\nBrooks, 25, is a San Francisco Bay Area-based singer and songwriter who is touring to promote her two independently released albums Silicon Valley Rebel and Privilege.\nThe night will begin with a pre-performance dinner and forum in the Cheshire Cafe, where the artist will answer audience questions starting at 8 p.m. The forum and the concert are free, but the food at the dinner is not free, said senior Jaelithe Ward, WSA member and a coordinator of the event.\nWard said she first got the idea to bring Brooks to IU after going to one of her concerts last summer. Impressed with Brooks' showmanship and down-to-earth style, she said she felt Brooks could bring a fresh feminist sound to Bloomington.\nBrooks writes and performs all of her music, which is what Ward said makes her distinctive as a female artist in the entertainment industry. Her folk-filled music has been said to be reminiscent of Ani DiFranco, even though as a solo artist she has her own style that sets her apart from other female performers.\n"She is a strong, passionate, no-holds-barred performer -- someone history will look on with favor," Bole said.\nBrooks' songs use imagery to create a sense of intimacy and reality in her music, Ward said, and her inspiring lyrics confront day-to-day issues in life and attempt to put social issues into perspective.\n"I think Allette Brooks has a lot of joy for life," Ward said. "She definitely builds a relationship with the audience. She talks with them during the show and includes them in the show."\nRather than writing bitter or accusatory lyrics in her songs, Ward said Brooks incorporates fighting oppression for all people, women and men, as a theme in her music, although many of her songs are feminist-based.\nSenior Laura Robinson, a member of WSA and a coordinator of the event, said, "Allette's music, in addition to being fun, is empowering to women, both in terms of her lyrics and in terms of her work as a musician"