Work ethic prepares sophomore for Big Ten meet

Williams bidding for shot at NCAAs

Anne Williams does not believe in setting goals for herself. Her hard work takes the place of goals.\nWilliams, a sophomore from Bloomfield Hills, Mich., has made a smooth transition from the prep level to college level. A four-time All-American at Seaholm High School, 1999 Michigan Swimmer of the Year and an academic All-American, Williams is a member of IU's record-holding 200- and 400-yard freestyle relay teams. \nAlthough Williams said she doesn't like to set goals, she aspires to help the relay teams swim its way into the NCAA tournament.\nMaking the NCAA tournament is no easy task. Training is intense, with dry land workouts being part of a daily routine. This is something Williams has taken seriously, said junior Susan Woessner. \n\"Williams is a very intense competitor with a tremendous work ethic," Woessner said. "As a freshman, she elevated the sprint group to another level. Whatever she takes on, she gives it all she's got." \nBy giving it her all, Williams has also been successful in the classroom. As an Alpha Beta honorary member, Williams is majoring in mathematics education with hopes of becoming a teacher.\nCoach Dorsey Tierney said she believes Williams' work ethic in the classroom and pool set a solid example for the swim team.\n"Anne is a joy to coach on a daily basis," Tierney said. "She is consistently focused, and always challenging herself." \nTierney attributes Williams' success to her being somewhat of a perfectionist.\nWilliams attributes it to the ability of the swimmers to work well in a group. With the addition of four freshmen who swim freestyle, the atmosphere has become more competitive. Each swimmer works harder, not trying to beat the other person, but to make that other person work harder, Williams said. Williams keeps a positive outlook, and said she believes it has made each swimmer reach her maximum potential. \nWith Big Ten Championships starting today, Williams is focused on the meet. \n"I'd like to make the NCAA (Championships) in the relays," Williams said. "The team has been working really hard at this, and it would be a great accomplishment"