Theta Chi nationals expected to rule today on whether to revoke charter

The ruling body of Theta Chi Fraternity was considering the future of IU's Alpha Iota chapter late into Thursday night. The Theta Chi Grand Chapter -- composed of Theta Chi alumni across the country -- discussed during a conference call whether to revoke the fraternity's charter.\nThe Chapter's decision did not come before the IDS' final deadline. \nTheta Chi was evicted by its landlord last week. Members were given 30 days to vacate their house from last Friday and until Thursday to respond to the suggestion that the chapter's charter be revoked by the national Theta Chi Risk Management and Standards Committee, said David Westol, executive director of Theta Chi fraternity.\nChapter president David Friedmann, a sophomore, declined to comment Thursday.\nIU's Alpha Iota chapter, 1440 N. Jordan Ave., had been suspended by its nationals since Feb. 1 and by the University since Feb. 7, pending the completion of an investigation into the death of freshman Seth Korona.\nKorona, 19, died Feb. 4 after several days in a coma.\nKorona attended a Jan. 27 party at the house where alcohol was served. A friend said Korona hadn't felt well since attending the party. Korona is believed to have suffered a blunt-force head injury at the party.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said Theta Chi's action will not alter the IU Police Department investigation or potential University action after the investigation.\n"We'll still be proceeding with our own process," McKaig said.\nMcKaig said University action could include action against individuals or parameters on when and if the fraternity will be allowed to return to campus, if its charter is revoked.\nAlpha Iota had to respond Thursday to its nationals' recommendation that its charter be revoked.\nWestol said Theta Chi International received the chapter's response on time.\nWestol said the brief response was not a surprise.\n"I did not expect a lengthy response," Westol said. "It was more of an acknowledgment." \nIn the next few weeks members will also have to find a new place to live.\nIUPD Lt. Jerry Minger said IUPD will complete its investigation in the next few days. Lt. Steve Fiscus, who's conducting the investigation, hopes to speak to a total of about 30 people, Minger said. Minger said he expects the investigation into Korona's death to be completed the middle of next week. Once the police report is written, it will be compared with the coroner's report, he said.