Theta Chi charter revoked

Grand Chapter cites violation of fraternity's probation as reason for punishment

Theta Chi's national organization revoked the IU chapter's charter Friday because of a Jan. 27 party at the house. Alcohol was served at the party, a violation of the chapter's probation, said David Westol, executive director of Theta Chi fraternity. \nThe party is also at the center of the IU Police Department's investigation into freshman Seth Korona's death.\nKorona, 19, died Feb. 4 from a skull fracture. University officials said they believe he suffered the fracture at the Jan. 27 party.\nAlcohol served at the party violated written conditions of a January 2000 probation from the national organization, Westol said.\nThe Theta Chi Grand Chapter -- composed of eight Theta Chi alumni from across the country -- made the decision to revoke the charter during a conference call late Thursday night, Westol said.\nThe decision means IU's Alpha Iota chapter, 1440 N. Jordan Ave., will not exist at IU for at least three years, Westol said.\nMembers were notified by e-mail Friday morning.\nAlpha Iota chapter president David Friedmann, a sophomore, could not be reached for comment this weekend. His Bloomington lawyers also could not be reached for comment Friday.\nTheta Chi had been suspended by its ruling body since Feb. 1 and by the University since Feb. 7, pending the completion of an investigation into Korona's death.\nThe loss of the charter will not affect the IU Police Department investigation or potential University action after the investigation, said Dean of Students Richard McKaig.\n"We'll still be proceeding with our own process," McKaig said. "Their removing their charter means there's not a Theta Chi chapter here, but you haven't heard the University's decision."\nMcKaig said the University could take action against individuals or set parameters on allowing the fraternity to return to campus.\nWestol said Theta Chi International had enough evidence to revoke Alpha Iota's charter, even as the IU investigation continues.\nTheta Chi was evicted by its landlord last week. Members have until mid-March to vacate their house, Westol said.\nThe chapter was also required to submit a formal response to a Theta Chi committee's recommendation that the chapter's charter be revoked. Theta Chi International received the chapter's brief response Thursday, Westol said.\n"I did not expect a lengthy response," he said. "It was more of an acknowledgment."\nIUPD Lt. Jerry Minger said IUPD will complete its investigation in the next few days. Minger said Lt. Steve Fiscus, who is conducting the investigation, hopes to have spoken to about 30 people.\nMinger said he expects the investigation into Korona's death to be completed by Wednesday. Once the police report is filed, it will be shared with the coroner, Minger said.\nWestol said he hopes to see Theta Chi eventually return to campus. \n"We would do so only with the permission and blessing of the University and the Interfraternity Council," Westol said. "The standard is normally three years."\nIf the University allows recolonization in the next few years, Westol said, current members would not be eligible.