Team adds 6 recruits for 2nd season

A one-win season would offer little reason for excitement in most programs. But, for the Hoosiers' fledgling field hockey team preparing for its second season, it doesn't take much. \nCoach Amy Robertson secured her initial IU recruiting class Wednesday, as six high schoolers signed national letters of intent to play for the Hoosiers. \nJessica Barton (Marathon, N.Y.), Kayla Bashore (Shoemakersville, Pa.), Kimberly Nash (Lake Bluff, Ill.), Lauren Brophy (St. Louis, Mo.), Jamie Baldwin (Dallas, Texas) and Lindsey Nealis (Oak Park, Ill.) will try to improve upon IU's 1-12 record, which included a winless Big Ten campaign. \n"Every coach says they are excited about the new players signing with their program, and I am no different," Roberston said. "These six signees are loaded with potential and full of enthusiasm."\nRoberston said pep is what her squad needs to get pointed in the right direction. \nNash led Lake Bluff to a high school state championship in 2000 and a runner-up spot in 1999. She led the team in scoring and was second in assists. \n"I am excited to play for the 'Big Red' as well as attend an amazing school," Nash said. \nBarton and Bashore each earned first-team all-state honors in their home states. Barton was a 1999 Regional All-American, and Bashore was named the soccer MVP at the 1998 Keystone State Games. \nNealis helped her high school to a third-place finish in Illinois and received the 2000 National All-Academic Achievement Award, boasting a 3.8 GPA.\nBrophy's high school squad won the Midwest State Championship during Brophy's junior and senior seasons. Brophy was named all-league and all-metro her senior year. \nBaldwin was a National Field Hockey Coaches' Association All-American Nominee during her junior and senior seasons and led her team in scoring her freshman and junior seasons. \n"When I first walked on campus, I knew I wanted to be a Hoosier," Baldwin said. "I was truly inspired when I met Coach. There is so much spirit here I cannot wait to be a part of."\nThe Hoosiers' enthusiasm might increase should they bounce back from a bumpy inaugural season. Roberston's squad will lose three seniors and will have only two seniors next season, but the incoming class will be an important factor in getting the Hoosiers turned around. \n"The incoming class will complement the current team," Robertson said. "(The newcomers) are the same type of athletes that are going to make a huge impact on the development of the new program"