State to consider curfew

Lawmakers say bill will cut down on juvenile crime

Late nights when minors roam freely through the streets of Bloomington might soon come to an end. \nIndiana had a curfew law since U.S. District Judge John Tinder found the previous law to be unconstitutional in July. In his decision, he said the law didn't allow First Amendment activities and it didn't have adequate exceptions. \nMembers of the General Assembly are working on two bills to revise and revive the previous bill. \nSen. David Ford, R-Hartford City, is a co-author of one of the bills. Ford said he believes the new curfew bill will be passed after the revisions.\n"Juvenile crime is not the chief issue for this bill -- it's to protect minors," Ford said. "More than half of the minors caught for curfew violations are also committing alcohol and/or drug violations."\nAlthough Bloomington does not have a curfew restriction, Bloomington Police Department Captain Mike Diekhoff said the city had successfully enforced the previous curfew law, which he said helped to keep juvenile crime low.\nDuring the past five years, the juvenile crime index has decreased, said Doug Garrison, special agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. \nSome Scholars and law enforcement officials disagree on the reasons why juvenile crime has decreased. \nEd McGarrell, associate professor of criminal justice, said it is difficult to assess whether the decrease in juvenile crime is related to curfew laws.\n"Even though curfew laws are enacted, it is up to the police to implement them and each city handles it differently," McGarrell said. \nFord said one of the goals of the curfew law is to protect youth from violence. McGarrell voiced the same opinion.\n"We are beginning to understand that the same kids who are getting in trouble with the law also have a high chance of being victims themselves," McGarrell said. \nSome civil rights activists criticize curfew laws because they believe the laws restrict personal freedom, McGarrell said. \nBut he said the courts recognize the government can regulate youth behavior. \nIn loco parentis is a law adapted from the British common law, which states the government can act in the place of a parent to restrict youth behavior. This law supported compulsory education requiring minors to enroll in school until a certain age, in most states requiring the completion of high school.\nEven when the state had a curfew law, each city enforced it differently. Ford said Indianapolis police did regular sweeps to catch minors violating curfew. Violators were taken to a designated center for screening.\n"In smaller communities, this doesn't happen because of the financial difficulties," Ford said. "Also, it is at the discretion of the police. We can't enforce all the law all the time."\nInsta-Poll, a survey conducted by The National League of Cities in February 2000, questioned 190 major and rural cities about the efficiency of their curfew laws. The study revealed 96 percent of the cities thought their laws were effective to combat juvenile crime and most of them didn't have a problem implementing curfew. According to the study, 85 percent of the cities reported that it didn't pose a significant cost. \nDonni Leboeuf, senior program manager officer of juvenile justice and delinquency prevention of U.S. Department of Justice, said community-based programs for youth has contributed to the reduction of crime. \n Leboeuf said curfew laws can only be successful if they are a collaborative effort in the city. She said there needs to be programs in the city working with youth as well as their families.\n She suggested schools, local police and social services should work together and in place programs for youths.\n "When a city puts a curfew ordinance with the linkage of services, they work," Leboeuf said.\n"But in cities where there is a curfew ordinance in place without the services the curfew law is not successful."\nIf a city has limits in funds, Leboeuf said they should look at the options within their city.\n"They could go to the faith-based community to open their doors to have a drop off center to work with the parents and the kids," she said. "In most communities, there is some type of social service through the town itself and through the non-profit sectors"