Player of year to sign with soccer team

Illinois native to turn down Virginia, UCLA to play for Hoosiers

Ned Grabavoy Jr., the national high school soccer player of the year, plans to sign with the five-time national champion Hoosiers early next week, his father said Tuesday night. Grabavoy, a senior from Lincoln-Way High School in New Lenox, Ill., has chosen IU instead of Virginia, UCLA and professional teams in Holland and Germany.\nThe first day to sign national letters of intent for soccer is today. The Grabavoy family, which lives in New Lenox, Ill., received a national letter of intent from the University Tuesday, but Grabavoy has not seen the letter because he is in Florida training with a national soccer team, said his father, Ned Grabavoy Sr. \nHe said he would talk to his son by phone and discuss the signing. Grabavoy, 17, won't return to New Lenox until Sunday, and probably won't sign and return the letter of intent until Monday or Tuesday.\n"He just happens to be away from home, where the information is," Ned Grabavoy Sr. said. "He didn't realize the conflict. He didn't realize this would be the first day to sign, and he would be out of town."\nThis week's eight-day training vacation isn't the only road trip Grabavoy has taken. One of the world's top club teams, Bayern Munich in Germany, evaluated the teenager last fall. Ned Grabavoy Sr. said he thinks his son would benefit more from playing soccer in college than from competing overseas. Club teams in Holland and Germany reviewed Grabavoy, but he and the teams weren't able to come to terms with a "firm contract," said John Hannan, an assistant director and coach for the Chicago Magic, a club team for which Grabavoy plays.\nIf Grabavoy committed to a professional team, including Major League Soccer, which also proposed an offer, his college eligibility would be forfeited. Ned Grabavoy Sr. said it's important for his son to get a college education.\n"He has a lot of mobility outside of sports," he said.\nAside from being close to home and getting an education, Grabavoy was also attracted to the Hoosiers' tradition, which includes two national championships in the past three years, Ned Grabavoy Sr. said.\nAs a midfielder and forward at Lincoln-Way, Grabavoy scored 40 goals and tallied 11 assists in 26 games for the state-runner Knights in 2000. In his junior year, he scored 39 goals and 12 assists in 27 games. He has captained the under-18 national team and was a PARADE All-American. In January, he was honored as best prep player in the nation at the National Soccer Coaches Association of American Convention in Indianapolis.\nAlthough he is only 5-foot-7, Grabavoy boasts quickness and sharp wit that make up for his lack of height, said Brian Papa, his coach at Lincoln-Way. Papa confirmed Grabavoy's top choice is IU.\n"I'm positive," Papa said. "I talked to his father (Tuesday). If he doesn't sign, I'd be shocked. He hasn't talked about anyone else."\nBefore he settled on IU, five-time national champion Virginia and three-time national champion UCLA were among Grabavoy's top choices, Papa said. Hannan said he is certain Grabavoy could make an immediate impact with the Hoosiers.\n"He can see if he can play at that level," Hannan said. "We certainly think he can."\nGrabavoy offers hard work and dedication, along with raw talent that sets him apart from bigger, stronger players, Papa said. \n"You're getting yourself a gem," Papa said. "You will not regret the day he walks on the campus."\nMen's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley was unable to comment on Grabavoy because of NCAA recruiting rules, but said the soccer program is excited about its recruits. Grabavoy could not be reached for comment.