Michigan leads by 22 points

After day one of the Big Ten Swimming and Diving championship, the Hoosiers are sitting in second place trailing only to Michigan. Eleven swimmers set personal records; five shattered school records.\nIU started the Big Ten meet at Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center by setting a school record in the 200-yard freestyle relay. A time of 1:31.07 was good enough to earn the Hoosiers first place, beating Michigan by nine-tenths of a second. \nThe four Hoosiers could not have been more excited. \n"We wanted to come out and make a statement, and we did," junior Susan Woessner said. "I can't believe we actually did it; this is a great feeling." \nThe pace was set by senior Jenn Cristy who swam her split in 22.45. This set a new school record, one which Cristy broke in the hours earlier in the preliminaries with a 22.52. Penn State finished third in the relay at 1:31.17.\nEllen Stonebraker won the 500-yard freestyle, being the lone Wisconsin swimmer in the event. Stonebraker is now a four-time champion in the 500 free. A big surprise was the finish by IU freshman Sarah Fiden. Fiden set a school record with a time of 4:50.37. The 500 time was the oldest Hoosier record, dating back nearly 20 years. \nFormer record-holder Jennifer Brinegar said she was excited to see someone so young accomplish such a feat. \n"I think it's awesome that she came out so intense," Brinegar said. "Coming out of lane eight it took a lot of guts. I hope Sarah considers this a stepping stone for her, as she will continue to improve."\nIn the consolation bracket of the 200-yard individual medley, sophomores finished first and second. Tina Gretlund, second place in the consolation bracket, was especially surprised. \n"I usually am not as good in the 200," Gretlund said. "I consider it a warmup for the 400 IM, so this came as a big surprise." \nUniversity of Minnesota senior Katy Christoferson won the event with a time of 2:00.22, earning an automatic spot into the NCAA finals.\nCoach Dorsey Tierney said the team has a saying, "Hear nothing see nothing. Put yourself in a bubble." \nCristy heard nothing but a crowd on its feet after shattering a school record in the 50-yard freestyle, which she had broken for the third time in the same day. Her time of 22.32 has gotten her an automatic bid into NCAA finals. Anne Williams of the Hoosiers also has a chance of earning her way into the finals with a finals time of 23.40.\nTo round out the evening in the 400 medley relay, the Hoosiers finished fourth at 3:42.82. Woessner started the event in the backstroke, while Cristy once again made a solid finish in the freestyle. Michigan set a pool and Big Ten record at 3:38.78\nTwo days are left to decide who will reign as the Big Ten women's swimming and diving champion. As the Hoosiers enjoyed signing autographs before they left for dinner, they sat in second place, 22 points behind Michigan.