IU trounces Murray State

Murray State came to IU Saturday with a three-match winning streak, but the Racers' incomplete lineup could not run with the No. 31 Hoosiers as IU pulled off a 6-1 victory. \nPlaying with a five-man roster, Murray State entered the match with forfeits at the No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles positions. Starting down to the Hoosiers proved to be too much. Despite slow starts in the doubles competition, IU pulled away to take both matches. Playing at No. 1 doubles, seniors Ian Arons and Milan Rakvica got down early but came back strong to clinch the doubles point for the Hoosiers. At No. 2 doubles, senior Paul Jacobson and sophomore Zach Held added another win.\nIn singles play, the Hoosiers (7-1, 0-1 Big Ten) claimed five of six matches, with the lone loss coming at No. 1, as Rakvica fell to Nikola Aracic, 6-3, 7-6 (4). \nAt No. 2, Arons also found himself down early. Arons fell behind 4-1 but fought his way back into the match and grabbed a two set victory, 7-5, 6-2. \n"I started off a little slow today," Arons said. "Once I got my rhythm, he started missing shots that he hit early."\nJacobson added another win to his impressive spring performance. After barely sliding by in a first-set tiebreaker, Jacobson captured the match with a 6-3 second-set victory. \nWith junior Rahman Smiley sitting on the sideline because of tendonitis in his bicep, Held filled the No. 4 slot for the Hoosiers and picked up the win. Smiley is hoping to return to action next week after continued rehabilitation. \nRounding out the victory was freshman Bernard Tsepelman, pulling through for the Hoosiers with a quick 6-2, 6-2. \nAfter the win, coach Ken Hydinger expressed his respect for the short-handed Murray State program.\n"Murray State did a great job of fighting," Hydinger said. "They have a good team with a lot of talent. (Racers coach) Mel (Purcell) is a great coach and a great guy"