Hoosiers hunting for boost in standings

As the wrestling team's regular season comes to a close, Big Ten teams continue to jockey for position in the standings. The 22nd-ranked Hoosiers have an important weekend coming up with road matches against Big Ten rivals Michigan State and Wisconsin.\nThe Spartans, coming off a 31-9 loss to No. 3 Iowa that dropped the Spartans to No.14, will welcome IU Friday night. The Spartans (5-7, 1-5 Big Ten), though ranked higher than the Hoosiers, trail IU (10-4, 2-4) in the Big Ten standings. \n"It's always tough to win on the road," coach Duane Goldman said. "Michigan State's lost a couple, and they'll be looking to bounce back strong."\nOne interesting side note is the appearance of Michigan State assistant coach Roger Chandler. Chandler was a three-time All American wrestler for the Hoosiers from 1995-97, but Goldman downplayed the significance of Chandler's presence.\n"There's no significance; we're both trying to help our own guys," Goldman said. "He's doing his job, and I'm doing mine."\nWhen the Hoosiers arrive Sunday in Wisconsin for the final Big Ten match of the regular season, they will face a Badger team that is looking for revenge. The two schools met earlier this season in the consolation semifinals of the Virginia Duals. Indiana squeezed out a 19-18 victory from senior heavyweight Mike Dixon's 3-2 victory in the finale. \n"We had a tough match against them last time," senior Kevin Stanley said. "A lot of good guys lost, myself included."\nStanley will have added pressure as he faces the nation's top ranked 165-pounder Donny Pritzlaff. Pritzlaff got the better of Stanley in the Virginia Duals, but the red-hot Stanley is confident the results will differ this time around.\n"I beat him when I was a freshman," Stanley said. "If I look to compete for a national title, I'm going to have to beat guys like him. I just have to concentrate on my stance and stay active. Last time, I wrestled way too cautious."\nAn important decision the Hoosiers still have to make is who will start in the 197-pound class going into the Big Ten Championships. Sophomore Ty Matthews started the season but has since platooned with junior Brett Becks, who forced his way into the lineup. Becks will get the start against Michigan State, while Matthews will wrestle in Wisconsin.\n"We both want it pretty bad," Matthews said. "I can't say I like splitting time. This weekend is definitely important so both of us want to walk away with a win."\nThe final decision will be up to Goldman, who hasn't ruled out the possibility of a challenge match.\n"They're both going to wrestle this weekend. We're trying to see who's going to rise to the occasion," Goldman said. "They're totally different styles; one guy might be more effective against a certain opponent than the other. But if one doesn't come on top, we'll have a challenge match between the two. There's nothing personal about it, both have worked hard and are great athletes"