Hoosiers bounce No. 20 Badgers

IU holds Wisconsin inside attack in check to aid upset win

The "Three-S Express" came to Bloomington Thursday night, but Wisconsin's deadly threesome couldn't break the women's basketball team, even in overtime.\nThe last time the two teams met, Wisconsin's low-post trio of junior guard Jessie Stomski, senior forward LaTonya Sims and sophomore center Nina Smith combined for 50 of the Badgers' 69 points.\nBut even their combined points couldn't help the Badgers, as they fell 83-79 to the Hoosiers. IU (15-7, 6-5 Big Ten) heads to Michigan State at 2 p.m. Sunday. \nThe win against visiting Wisconsin marked the first time the Hoosiers have beaten a ranked team in their five attempts this season, and was their first win against a ranked team since 1998.\n"We did a better job of double teaming," coach Kathi Bennett said. "We did a better job inside. We made (Stomski, Smith and Sims) work a little bit more."\nJunior forward Jill Chapman and sophomore center Erika Christenson, who fouled out the last time the two teams met, had a combined four fouls going into the half, helping the Hoosiers' inside defense.\nThe Hoosiers jumped to their largest lead of the night, 20 points, largely from their deadly three-point shooting. IU finished 8-of-17 from the three-point line, for 47 percent.\nBut just minutes later, the Hoosiers were heading into the locker room, ahead by a mere 10 points. Stomski, who had been quiet until the first half's final seconds, hit three jump shots in less than 30 seconds, including one at the buzzer, to close the gap.\nThe Hoosiers watched their 10-point halftime lead dwindle to six just four minutes into the second half. Wisconsin tied the game with just less than seven minutes remaining, and the contest remained tight down the stretch.\nWith less than two minutes to go, the Hoosiers were up by two points, and Stomski was denied under the basket. But she followed that miss with two more jumpers, and Wisconsin took its first lead of the game, 72-71, with 44 seconds remaining in regulation.\nJunior forward Erin McGinnis tied the game with a free throw with 20 seconds left. She missed her next free toss, but Chapman came up with the rebound. The ball went to senior guard Rainey Alting, who misfired on her jumper, sending the game into overtime.\n"We wanted to make sure we took the last shot," Bennett said. "We didn't want to give them another opportunity to come down and score. We were trying to open it up. We'd had a great deal of success when we flattened it out."\nIU had history on its side going into overtime. Wisconsin hadn't won either of its two overtime games this season, and the Hoosiers won their only overtime contest this year, a 77-74 win against Washington in November.\nAlting hit two free throws in the first 15 seconds of overtime, but Stomski answered with a lay-up. The Badgers would score only two more times, and wouldn't tie or take the lead again.\nChapman hit a jumper off an inbounds pass with two seconds left to seal the game for IU.\n"We were setting up for a lob, but we didn't get it," said Chapman of her 15-foot fall-away jumper. "Heather got the ball inbounds, and I was open, so I took it." \nMcGinnis topped off the win with the final two free throws with 12 seconds left.\nFour Hoosiers scored double-digits, led by junior point guard Heather Cassady, who finished with a game-high 21. McGinnis recorded her first career double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds.\nWisconsin was led by Stomski, who scored 19 points and grabbed 18 rebounds.\nThe Hoosiers rallied around teammate Rachael Honegger, who was suspended Wednesday. Honneger, a usual starter, was replaced by McGinnis.\n"I want to congratulate Indiana on their win tonight," Wisconsin coach Jane Albright said. "Obviously they were playing for a lot of reasons tonight. I've been in sports a long time, and I've seen teams rally around a lot of events"