Hockey team sweeps RMC

Hoosiers win final home games, prepare for national tourney

The hockey team swept Robert Morris College in its final home series of the season this weekend. The Hoosiers crushed the Eagles 9-1 Friday and squeaked out a 6-5 victory Saturday.\n"We were just trying to get out of there with a win and no disqualifications," assistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias said of the weekend.\nFriday's game saw an easy victory for the Hoosiers (20-10-2, 11-1-2 Midwest Collegiate Hockey League). IU had a 4-0 lead before Robert Morris (19-16-1) was even able to get on the board. Even with the goal, the Hoosiers maintained their confidence, eventually defeating the Eagles 9-1.\nHoosier standouts in Friday's contest included junior forward Ed Karasek, who had two goals, and freshman defenseman Mike Piotrowski, who added three assists to the Hoosier effort. Sophomore goalie Charlie Pulley allowed just one goal in the first two periods, while senior Chad Whitlock finished the game with 14 saves.\nSaturday's game proved to be the more competitive contest, with the Hoosiers edging out a 6-5 victory. The battle remained close throughout the contest, with the Eagles cutting the Hoosier lead to one goal with just six seconds remaining. But IU persevered, winning its final home game of the season. \n"Guys were just wanting to do the right things Saturday, but I don't think everyone was trying very hard," Kyrias said.\nJunior forward and assistant captain Bryan Grant led the Hoosiers with a hat trick and an assist Saturday. The three goals made Grant IU's all-time leader for goals in a season. In his final home game as a Hoosier, senior Justin Wojtowicz allowed two goals in two periods and easily recorded the victory.\nThe American Collegiate Hockey Association Division II national championships begin Wednesday in Fishers, Ind. To participate in Saturday's final rounds, the Hoosiers must have the best record in their bracket, which includes Michigan State, Utah and New York University. \nIU's players say they have been waiting for this tournament since the team's one-goal loss in the finals last year.\n"Our major goal last year was to win nationals last year, and we didn't," Grant said in an interview Oct. 6. "We had a great record, but didn't accomplish what we wanted to accomplish. It's going to be a whole different story this year."\nThe Hoosier coaches are also confident that IU will play to its full capabilities in the tournament.\n"I told my team again how well I thought we played (in the conference tournament), and I firmly believe if we play that well, we should be able to do some damage in this tournament," coach Rich Holdeman said.