Freshman's death remains mystery

Police seek anyone with information

The IU Police Department and the family of the freshman whose Feb. 4 death is still unexplained are concerned people with information might not be coming forward.\nBoth are encouraging anyone who knows anything to call IUPD immediately.\nSeth Korona, 19, died of bleeding in the brain caused by a head injury, Monroe County Coroner David Toumey said Sunday. Korona attended a Jan. 27 party at the Theta Chi fraternity, was hospitalized Jan. 29 and remained in a coma until his death.\nThe investigation will continue into next week at least, Lt. Jerry Minger said. Officials had hoped the investigation would be completed this week.\nMinger said the department wants to speak to everyone who attended the Theta Chi party -- potentially 600 people.\nMinger said 300 people were invited to the party, and each was allowed to bring a guest.\n"I'd be happy if absolutely everyone at that party calls us," Minger said. "Then we'd be as thorough as possible."\nHe said the department wants individuals at the party to call IUPD, whether or not they believe they have information to offer. He said some people at the party might think what they saw is insignificant, assume the department already knows what they saw or simply assume IUPD will call if it needs information.\nMinger said he has heard there are people with first-hand knowledge who have not contacted IUPD. He said the department wants to talk to these people.\nThe department has not yet been able to obtain a guest list or list of rushees, Minger said.\nThe Theta Chi party was registered with the Interfraternity Council and the University was notified, said Jim Gibson, assistant dean of student activities. Fraternities can register their parties with IFC, which passes the information on to the University, Gibson said. \nIUPD has interviewed 30 people who attended the party, Minger said. Those already interviewed were helpful, he said.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said e-mails were sent to the international organizations of five or six greek houses who had members at the party requesting their local chapter members cooperate with the IUPD investigation.\nIUPD is asking for cooperation from anyone -- regardless of whether they attended the party -- who has any knowledge of what happened to Korona before his hospitalization.\n"We want to reap as much information as possible about Seth Korona's activities," Minger said.\nKorona's family in New Jersey wants to know the truth about what happened, family friend Debra Neilson said.\nFamily members are not in a rush -- they just want answers after a complete investigation, Neilson said. Like IUPD, the family is encouraging individuals to come forward so they can know the truth and have closure. \n"The family is concerned that the investigation will be hampered by the fact that no one is coming forward," Neilson said. "Someone had to see something. We just want to get to the truth."\nMinger said he cannot offer any time table for the completion of the investigation.\nIt depends on how willing people are to share what they know, he said.\nMeanwhile, Korona's friends and family are waiting.\n"A lot of people are walking around thinking they lost a friend for no reason at all," Neilson said.