Chocolate dreams become reality

It sounds like something out of a chocolate lover's dreams. All-you-can-eat chocolate pies, cakes and cookies. But it's going to be a reality Saturday in Bloomington.\nThe fourth annual Chocolate Fest will take place from 6-9 p.m. Saturday at the Monroe County Convention Center, 302 S. College Ave. Although last year's event was successful with more than 500 people attending, organizers are hoping for a bigger turnout this year.\nThey have made preparations to accommodate as many as 2,000 people. Everything is on track, according to event organizer Veronica Amarant, development director of Options for Better Living, the nonprofit organization sponsoring the fund-raiser. Options for Better Living helps people wih disabilities live and work independently.\nThe amount of interest in Chocolate Fest has caused some last-minute changes in the rules. \n"We've lifted the deadline, so people can submit entries all the way up to the day of the event," Amarant said. "We do have 30-plus entries already, which is amazing. We had 10 to 15 at this time last year. We were concerned, but the day of event we had over 30 entries total."\nAmarant said they are hoping for 50 to 60 entries at this year's festival. Categories include cookies and bars, candy, cakes, pies, cheesecake creations, cooking by kids (ages 12 and younger), restaurant and miscellaneous. The restaurant category has already had a number of entries, including such eateries as the Encore Cafe, Four Winds Resort and the Scholars Inn.\nBesides all the chocolate, there will also be a Valentine's Day-themed silent auction. Donated prizes from local businesses have been grouped together into packages of gifts. Some of the auction packages include "Love your car," which includes a car wash and tune up and "Pamper me day," which includes a massage, soap, chocolate and more. \nAmarant said presents will be available for everyone, from significant others to siblings. Other items include a football autographed by the Indianapolis Colts, meals from Outback Steakhouse and Colorado Steakhouse, and gift certificates from Cha Cha and other local retail stores. \n"Everyone likes chocolate. Very few people don't," Amarant said. "And it's a great deal." \nAmarant cited the value of three hours of live music and all-you-can-eat chocolate for just the $12 ticket price. The proceeds also go to Options for Better Living.\n"It's lot of fun," she said. "A great place to get a Valentine's Day present. And, I think, a great place to bring a date"