Candidates express views in IUSA executive debate

Discussion reveals ticket differences, common ground

The IU Student Association sponsored its annual executive debate Thursday at the Indiana Memorial Union. Questions posed to the tickets' presidential candidates ranged from the University's academic decline to ATMs on campus.\nAfter the debate, candidates said they found common ground but also had a chance to define individual goals.\nEach ticket was represented by its presidential candidate -- freshman Dale Drizd of the House ticket; senior Sidney Bosley of the Imagine ticket; junior Scott Hamlin, the new presidential candidate for the Miracle ticket; senior Justin Treasure of the ONE ticket; and junior Jake Oakman of the Supernova ticket.\nSenior Joe Koleszar, presidential candidate for the disqualified TOGA ticket, sat at the table but agreed not to speak. He said he is challenging the ticket's disqualification.\nFour panelists asked questions of the candidates, and each candidate had two minutes to answer. After panelist questions, the audience posed queries.\nThe panel consisted of Assistant Dean of Students Jim Gibson, Residence Halls Association President Jason Dudich, IDS Managing Editor Liz Beltramini and Brian O'Neill, assistant to Interfraternity Council president Ben Schmidt.\nIn opening and closing statements, candidates explained the basic philosophy and goals of their campaigns.\nThe House ticket will focus on what students want, Drizd said.\n"Vote for us, and we'll prove it," he said.\nBosley said the Imagine ticket wants to bring IUSA closer to students. The Imagine ticket has no issue-specific platform, rather a "presence of vision," he said.\n"(We plan) to get IUSA off the third floor of the Union and out with the students," Bosley said.\nHamlin said tuition buys every student a voice. He said the Miracle ticket wants to amplify that voice, emphasizing student choices and accessibility, while addressing current campus issues.\nTreasure said the ONE ticket plans to focus on long-term issues and improve the environment on campus. He said the ticket has researched their proposals and tested them with students and faculty.\nOakman said the Supernova ticket wants to focus on unification -- especially with other student groups on campus. He said the ticket wants to bring new energy, new people and new ideas into IUSA.\nOne question posed during the debate asked the candidates for their thoughts and suggestions on the University's academic reputation.\nTreasure said the value of his degree has gone down. He said it is because of, among other factors, a lack of student involvement.\nDrizd said the problem could be blamed on both professors and students. What is needed, he said, is more access to professors.\nOakman said he hopes to improve the academic reputation of the University by "using the lobbying power of student government."\nBosley said one solution to improve the University's academic reputation is to start with a strong graduate program and build from there.\nAnother question addressed a perception on campus that IUSA does little to affect students' lives. Candidates were asked to explain how they would change the perception.\n"The fact IUSA doesn't do anything is why people don't care about the election," Treasure said.\nNot everyone agreed, but all candidates said they want to run campaigns that garner interest and increase voter turnout from about 15 percent in previous years' elections.