Wrestlers to face rival

For the wrestling team to secure a victory tonight, momentum is the key word.\nIU opens Big Ten competition against rival Purdue. The Hoosiers will play host to the match at 7 p.m. at Mater Dei High School in Evansville.\nIU moved back into the top 25 after defeating No. 17 Pennsylvania and No. 18 Wisconsin in its third place finish at the Virginia Duals last weekend. Now No. 22, the Hoosiers have momentum to carry them past the Boilermakers.\nRedshirt freshman Coyte Cooper (141 lbs.) said the duals in Virginia proved how good the team could become.\n"We knew we were a good team, but there is a difference between knowing and going out and doing it," Cooper said. "We just showed that we can wrestle with anybody and that helps the confidence of the team."\nConfidence will be important. Purdue is 6-1 in dual matches and faces the Hoosiers after a three- match sweep of Ashland, Cleveland St. and Marquette in the Wendy's Classic. The Boilermakers return all four NCAA Championship qualifiers from last year's team.\nUndaunted, senior Kevin Stanley (165) said his team will match up well with Purdue because of the teams' contrasting styles.\n"They will want to play the edge and keep the match close," Stanley said. "Primarily, they are not a well-conditioned team, and we are always well-conditioned."\nStanley is ranked 11th in his weight class and is captain of the Hoosier squad. He will challenge Purdue sophomore Kirk Moore (10-4), who placed seventh in conference championships as a freshman and qualified for the national competition. \nStanley finished fifth last season in conference championship at 157 pounds. He said Moore is a tall and lanky opponent who plans to use stalling tactics to keep the match close.\n"I just plan on using my condition, and he can't hang with me strength wise," Stanley said. "I plan on pounding on the guy; I hope to major (decision) him."\nA battle of two ranked opponents will take place at 125 pounds when junior Greg Schaefer, ranked 16th, meets Purdue's Jason Silverstein, ranked 15th. Schaefer is 8-5 overall, while Silverstein stands at 13-3.\nAt heavyweight, senior Michael Dixon (10-4) will contest 20th-ranked Jake Vercelli, who defeated Dixon by decision 2-1 in last year's match. Dixon won four of five matches last weekend in Virginia, losing only to Penn State's Michael Faust 2-1.\nIU might have a chance to earn big points in two weight classes. Cooper will meet Purdue's lone true freshman, Paul Sacquitne, at 141 pounds. \nCooper said his coaches expect him to score well in the match. Junior Viktor Sveda, ranked 5th at 184 pounds, will face junior Jared Williams, who is coming off his first matches of the season at the Wendy's Classic, where he went 2-1. Sveda has pinned his past seven opponents.\nIU owns the overall advantage against Purdue at 47-28-3. But each team has won five matches in the last 10 years. IU won last year's battle 25-12 in West Lafayette.\nAssistant coach Pat Cassidy, a member of last year's team, said this year's dual will be intense and exciting.\n"It is going to be a hard-fought dual," Cassidy said. "Whoever fights the most and scraps the most is going to win"