Swimming team facing the pressure

Hoosiers swim against Wolverines on Senior Day

Not that the men's swimming team needed any more motivation, but Saturday's noon meet at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center against Michigan is also Senior Day and the Hoosiers' final home meet of the season. \nAnd it's Parents' Day.\nAnd no one likes to lose in front of Mom and Dad. \nThe Hoosiers, after losing to Ohio State, need a victory to carry them into the Purdue meet and then the Big Ten Championships.\nThey know it won't be easy. \n"We've done some things this year where certain parts of our team have swum well, and other parts haven't," coach Kris Kirchner said. "That's the struggle, to put it all together all at once."\nIU (2-4, 0-3 Big Ten) is anticipating a victory will require near perfection.\n"We just have to swim our very best, and if we do, then we will be victorious Saturday afternoon," senior Will Bernhardt said. "Michigan is always a big meet," \nMichigan (3-4) comes to Bloomington ranked ninth, and though the Wolverines' record does not seem to support such a high ranking, every opponent they faced was ranked.\nIn other words, every victory meant something. \nMichigan has many assets that make it a difficult team to beat, including its depth, which includes 2000 Summer Olympic bronze medalist Chris Thompson.\n"This will be, as a team, the best team we have faced all year," Kirchner said. "What I'm looking for is fast races and winning some races and improving our (best) times of the season."\nThe diving team is also expecting a victory to come at a high cost.\n"I'll challenge our kids to step up and dive at a higher level," diving coach Jeff Huber said. "I'm interested to see how we're going to do and how we're going to react"