Protest targets Nike factory

A faux Nike fashion show was part of a protest Wednesday in Dunn Meadow, as members of No Sweat!, a group dedicated to ending sweatshops, joined 15 other campuses protesting working conditions in a Mexican factory that supplies Nike, Inc. with sweatshirts. \nThe day of action was organized by United Students Against Sweatshops, a national coalition of 175 student groups.\nThe Kukdong International-Mexico plant in Puebla, Mexico supplies many Nike-contracted universities, including IU, with sweatshirts bearing school logos. Allegations came to light Jan. 9 when workers went on strike to demand their own union be recognized, instead of a company union run by the factory, according to a USAS press release. The press release also alleged poor treatment of factory workers and that riot police attacked and arrested workers protesting at the factory.\nJunior Nancy Steffan, regional organizer for USAS and member of No Sweat!, said the involvement of other major campuses helped make the rally more high profile. \n"It's not that things like this don't happen around the world," Steffan said. "But this is one where we have a particular stake in it."\nNike issued a statement Jan. 16 condemning any acts of violence that might have occurred.\n"Nike deplores violence and is concerned for the safety of everyone involved in this difficult situation," the statement said. "… Nike supports the rights of workers to organize and collectively seek fair and independent resolutions to disputes such as these.. If the respective parties can negotiate peacefully, a beneficial outcome for the workers can be reached." \nNike will be conducting a full investigation into complaints about the factory's compliance with Nike's code of conduct, according to the statement.\nLast year, IU provisionally joined the Workers Rights Consortium, an organization started to ensure that University-licensed apparel is not produced in sweatshop conditions at home or abroad. \nMembers of No Sweat! met with Associate Dean of Students Damon Sims Wednesday morning to discuss possible recommendations for IU President Myles Brand through the consortium advisory committee on the Nike issue.\n"What they want to do is, as I understand it, propose to the committee that a letter be drafted that might be considered by representatives of Big Ten institutions expressing concern about those events," Sims said. "We chatted about that process and who they would give (the letter) to and what sort of chain they would have to go through"