Journalism dean named administrator of year

Trevor R. Brown, dean of the School of Journalism, was named Freedom Forum Journalism Administrator of the Year Jan. 13.\nThe award recognizes outstanding leadership in journalism education. Brown was selected by a panel of educators and news professionals from nominations submitted by his peers. He is the 12th recipient of the award.\n"We look for people who have done an outstanding job in journalism education, not only in their own school, but also in terms of the larger professions as well," said Donna Fowler, director of communications for Freedom Forum.\nBrown has been dean of the school since 1985. He began his career at IU as an assistant professor in 1972. He has also taught at the University of Cape Town in South Africa. Brown holds a doctorate in communications-public affairs from Stanford University, and master's and bachelor's degrees from Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar.\n "This is an award that's long overdue," associate journalism professor Owen Johnson said. "He has provided important leadership; not only in curriculum, support and research, but also in giving moral and ethical leadership to the journalism field as a whole."\n Brown received a medal and $10,000 from the Freedom Forum, and IU has received a $10,000 grant in his honor.\nBrown has served as associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. \nThe dean worked to make the School of Journalism an independent unit within the University. He also has tried to change the curriculum to help prepare graduates for the technological demands of the 21st century.\n"The challenge of the school is to adhere to certain fundamental values of journalism, despite changes that threaten values," Brown said.\nThe Freedom Forum is a private, nonpartisan international foundation. It concentrates on four priorities -- press freedom, diversity in journalism, world press freedom and the Newseum in Virginia.\n"The most significant part of (this award) is that it recognizes the School of Journalism," Brown said.\nHe said the credit for the award belongs to his predecessors, especially former dean Richard Gray, who died in November 1984. In his acceptance speech, Brown honored Gray's legacy.\n"Dick Gray, only the third chair since the creation of IU's Department of Journalism in 1911, had the passion and courage to shift the course of his inheritance and to shape the vision of his successors," Brown said in his acceptance speech Jan. 13.\nThe award didn't exist when Gray was dean, Brown said, adding, "I have no doubt (Gray) would have won this award."\nThough the Freedom Forum receives high quality nominations each year, Brown's stood out, Fowler said.