Hoosiers nominated for Grammys

Alumnus, professor earn 3 nominations

Two of the 500 nominees seated in the crowd at the Grammys Feb. 21 can call themselves Hoosiers.\nJoshua Bell and Ronald Cohen, alumnus and professor, respectively, have been recognized as the movers of today's music scene, worthy of a chance of receiving one of modern music's highest honors. Bell is nominated for one award, Cohen for two.\nCohen, a history professor at IU Northwest, wrote the introductory passage for the extensive line notes to The Best of Broadside 1962-1988: Anthems of the American Underground; From the Pages of Broadside Magazine, a five CD box-set from Smithsonian Folkway Recordings. Along with co-producer Jeff Place and compilation producer Pete Reinger, the notes have been nominated for both the Best Historical and Best Album Notes categories. \nThe collection is a set of 89 tunes pulled from the pages of Broadside Magazine, a folk magazine published by Agnes "Sis" Cunningham and Gordon Friesen. Artists included are both popular and obscure. \nCohen has interviewed Cunningham and studied folk music and its political movement extensively, much of this work resulting in his book, History of Folklore, to be released in a year. He also edited the autobiography of Cunningham and Friesen, Red Dust and Broadsides, adding an essay, from which much of the linear note information was taken. \n"It is something to be nominated," said Cohen. He said he believes the nomination was well- deserved, and that the competition is stiff. And although he has been congratulated by some faculty members, he said his students have yet to learn about the nomination. \nCohen has previously been awarded for his work on another large CD compilation, Songs for Political Action, from Bear Farm Records. \nMarketing and communications representative Roxane Geraci at IUN said the school is excited and proud. \nBell, a Bloomington native, has received a nomination for Best Instrumental Soloist Performance (with orchestra) for "Nicholas Maw's Violin Concerto." He is joined by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Roger Norrington. The album was also nominated for Best Classical Contemporary Composition. \n"I think it's great," said violin professor Miriam Fried, who has know Bell since he was a boy. She has not yet heard the recording but said she is confident Bell has a unique style, worthy of the nomination. \nAlso receiving praise overseas, "Nicholas Maw's Violin Concerto" was nominated for the United Kingdom's Mercury Music Prize. It was the only classical recording to be nominated. Bell has also been nominated for Grammys numerous times, winning in 1999 for his part on the Listen to the Storyteller soundtrack.\nThe Best of Broadside is available at Border's, Eastland Plaza, and Classical Film and Music, 108 Fountain Square. Nicholas Maw's Violin Concerto is available at T.I.S. Music Shop, 1424 E. Third St.; Barnes and Nobles, 2813 E. Third St.; Borders; and Classical Film and Music.