Hoosiers need Big Ten win

Conference's top scorer will test Hoosiers

Junior guard Dane Fife said he realizes interim head coach Mike Davis wants more offensive productivity from the guards. But Fife said the IU guards aren't quick enough to create their own shots. He even said that maybe, just maybe, the guards "aren't clever enough" to create their own shots.\nThis could be a problem for the Hoosiers (10-7, 1-2 Big Ten) when they face Penn State (11-3, 2-2) and senior guard Joe Crispin, the conference's leading scorer, at 6 p.m. today in Assembly Hall. Crispin is an agile, off-the-dribble shooter averaging 26 points per game against the Big Ten, good for No. 6 in the nation.\nAnd Fife has been assigned to defend him.\n"Every team we play, we try to put me on their best shooter," Fife said. "That's something I love to do -- play defense and shut down players. Joe Crispin is going to be tough to guard, no question. Honestly, I haven't felt that any guy could score on me this year."\nThe Nittany Lions are second in the Big Ten in scoring offense, averaging 77.3 points per game. IU is ranked 10th in the conference in scoring offense, averaging 56.3 points per game. Three seniors, including Crispin, lead Penn State's starting lineup and account for 68 percent of the team's offense.\nSenior forward Gyasi Cline-Heard averages 13.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per game and guard Titus Ivory averages 15.6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.\n"The three of us are definitely going to be the focal point as far as leadership and productivity are concerned," Crispin said. "I think we're heading in the right direction this year. I've been here three years, and every year I'm kind of wishy-washy. This year is different. I'm confident."\nCline-Heard leads the team with 27 blocks. Tyler Smith and sophomore Jon Crispin, Joe's brother, complete Penn State's probable starting lineup.\nThe Hoosiers have won the last seven games against Penn State, but Davis said one more series win will not be easy. He jokingly said an easy shot for Penn State could be as long as 30 feet.\n"They have three guys who can shoot the basketball well. We've got to really get into them defensively and stay on top of them, not give them open shots or open looks," Davis said. "Two losses is not bad, but it is if you're under .500. We can control our own destiny right now"