Hoosier lineup changes

All-time leading scorer makes his return to IU hockey team

Brad Lutsch, the hockey team's all-time leading scorer, made his return to the Frank Southern Center ice January 19, 1999, against Purdue University. In a Hollywood-style climax to his already incredible collegiate career, Lutsch netted a hat trick. Midway through the second period, hit a Purdue player so hard the helpless Boilermaker shattered the glass board and ended up in the second row of the bleachers.\n"It was a clean hit," said coach Rich Holdeman, "but Brad hit the kid so hard, he actually broke the bars that support the glass."\nIU's all-time leader in points, goals, assists and penalty minutes, Lutsch is an IU hockey legend. And for one last semester, No. 22 will be back on the ice again.\nLutsch, a defenseman, will probably see time in this weekend's home-and-home series with Purdue, which will start in Fishers, Ind., Friday before coming to the Frank Southern Ice Arena, 1965 S. Henderson Ave., at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.\nHoldeman said he is excited to have his all-time scoring leader and a defenseman back in the fold.\n"(His return) gives us a more effective power play," Holdeman said. "Last season, our power play operated at 40 percent. If you can score almost half the time you have a power play, it really helps in close games."\nThe American Collegiate Hockey Association allows any player to be eligible for 10 semesters. By joining the IU roster, Lutsch has now entered his final semester of ACHA eligibility. He has also enrolled in classes this semester.\nAssistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias said the ACHA has cleared Lutsch's eligibility and the coaching staff was thrilled to bring back Lutsch, who originally came to the team with the idea. But Kyrias said it was the team's decision.\n"Asking the players seemed the right thing to do," Kyrias said. "The vote turned out in his favor."\nAs its vote indicated, the team is excited to have Lutsch back in the lineup.\n"I think it's a great addition to our team," junior forward and captain Dan Hauck said. "He's an exceptional player who's going to make us a better squad. Having him back there, we'll have an offensive defenseman that we haven't had all year."\nLutsch's contributions to the lineup will help the ailing Hoosier team. During winter break, the Hoosiers graduated senior Josh Becktell. Sophomore forward Matt Cohen and sophomore forward Rhys Anderson then left the team for personal reasons.\nFreshman defenseman Justin Peck is also expected to miss the Purdue series this weekend because of injury.\nIn addition to Lutsch, the Hoosiers have added two players to the roster for the spring semester. Freshman forward Bob Pesavent, who last played with the Chicago junior B hockey team, has transferred to IU and joined the team. The Hoosiers have also added freshman defenseman Dusty Driscoll, who originally made the Hoosier lineup in October but took the fall semester off to concentrate on academics.\nLutsch was an assistant captain for the Hoosiers' 1999-2000 squad but will not be sewing a letter on his jersey for his final semester.\n"Brad isn't the kind of guy who leads by words," Hauck said. "He leads by action"