'Enemy territory' awaits Hoosiers

The women's swim team is traveling Saturday to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes (1-7) at 1 p.m. It will be their first meet on the road this season, and head coach Dorsey Tierney said she welcomes the challenge. \n"I think it will be a good test of their stamina and their ability to compete in enemy territory," said Tierney, whose Hoosiers are undefeated in dual competitions.\nFreshman freestyler Sarah Fiden is no stranger to the Buckeyes. A native of Kettering, Ohio, Fiden considered swimming for her home school before signing with IU. After getting to know some OSU swimmers, Fiden said she is aware of the strengths the Buckeyes possess.\n"Going against a conference opponent, you have to be up for anything," Fiden said.\nFiden said she feels more comfortable now that she is in her second semester with the team. She said all the hard work and training will pay off in the upcoming meet and the Big Ten championships in February. \nOne of the Hoosiers' leading distance racers, Fiden will be swimming the 200 freestyle and 400 individual medley in Columbus. Saturday marks the second of four straight weekends of competition, so Tierney said she wants to give her distance swimmers some breaks.\n"Fortunately, we have the depth to mix up our lineup at times," Tierney said.\nThat lineup includes sophomore Megan Geers, who is looking to better her breaststroke times.\n"This year, she's pretty much on a roll," Tierney said. "She has the best attitude of anybody on the team on a daily basis."\nGeers is also a native of Ohio and said she is looking forward to going home. But her mission is to uphold the Hoosiers confidence and a perfect record.\n"I think that our team is ready to handle anything that anyone throws at us," Geers said.\nGeers, the Hoosiers' top breaststroker, said she is having fun this year.\n"I'm real excited to see how fast I can be this semester," Geers said.\nTierney looks to the weekend with slight apprehension. IU's intense winter training has different effects on everyone and might fatigue some younger swimmers, she said.\n"This week is always interesting," Tierney said. "I think we'll see a little bit of a mixed bag this weekend."\nEven so, Tierney said she is confident in her team."I'm feeling very good about where we are right now," she said.