Dissent: Commandments a vital document

All parties have reached a settlement, and the Ten Commandments will be proudly displayed -- in a collection of "law-making" documents -- near Washington County's Courthouse in Indiana. Some will say this violates the separation of church and state, or that it is offensive to people who practice religions other than Christianity or Judaism. \nBut we cannot alter history, or reality, to suit our politically correct notion of what we think is right or wrong. It is right that the Ten Commandments be displayed with other "law-making" documents; it is not being posted as a religious text, but rather an example of the basis on which our Founding Fathers established the laws of this nation. \nIt is impossible to deny the reality that our founders' religion played a strong role in the establishment of this government. Our currency states "In God we trust" for a reason, and the Declaration of Independence states God has granted us those "certain inalienable rights" for which we fought a war. \nIt might be uncomfortable to embrace our nation's Christian background, now that we are at an inclusive and accepting point in our collective mentality. It might seem to go against our sacred "separation of church and state" mantra to post a seemingly religious document at a county courthouse.\nBut these doubts and concerns can't change the reality of history. Our founders carried the Ten Commandments close to their hearts, and used the document as a guideline in establishing the rules of our nation. To honor their achievement, we must honor the documents on which they based it -- like it or not, that includes the Ten Commandments. The settlement agreement in this case establishes a good precedent, because it allows one of the United States' law-making documents to be displayed precisely for what it is -- not a religious text, but a foundation of law.