Awaiting another season of 'Survivor,' reality TV

Audiences addicted to voyeuristic programs, 'Iron Chef,' HBO dramas

How can we sum up 2000 without mentioning the national obsession that is "Survivor?" How can we not recall Richard's strategizing, Rudy's homophobia, Colleen's loveliness and Susan's "rat vs. snake" rant? Aren't we glad the year is almost over, so we can soon revisit that madness when "Survivor: The Australian Outback" airs Jan. 28?\nHow can we talk about "Survivor" without mentioning the year's phenomenon that is reality television? This year, we've seen several reality-based programs that span the very good ("Survivor," "The 1900 House," "American High"), the mediocre ("Big Brother," "The Real World") and the very bad ("Making the Band," "Road Rules," "Real World/Road Rules Challenge 2000"). Regardless of the quality, reality programs prove to be a hugely successful alternative to off-season reruns.\nBack to "Survivor." There are so many elements that help make the show the phenomenon it is. Aside from the lucrative prize money and the exotic locale, the show boasts a superb cast that never ceases to intrigue the audience. Although "Survivor" is far from perfect (some of the challenges and the product placements are lame), it certainly has successfully transformed countless viewers' voyeuristic curiosity into full-fledged obsession. \nAnother national obsession, although on a smaller scale, is Food Network's Japanese import "Iron Chef." Combining elements of a cooking show and a game show, complemented by the frantic voiceover of a former sports commentator and the slow-motion instant replays, you have this otherworldly and entertaining cult phenomenon. Iron Chef's competition with Food Network's own Bobby Flay stands as one of the must-see television events this year.\nAside from reality programs, most of the year's new shows aren't that impressive despite the high ratings. "Bull," "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "The Fugitive" are fairly amusing. But it's clear that some of the best shows on television are the returning ones. "Oz" and "The Sopranos" remain the most captivating dramas on the tube, while "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Dharma & Greg" are always wonderfully funny.\nPrograms such as "Oz" and "The Sopranos" constantly make you aware of how bad movies are these days. While the second season of "The Sopranos" is a little uneven, the gritty prison drama "Oz" delivers yet another seven mesmerizing episodes. Despite the year's reality craze, "Oz" still remains as television's best. Thankfully, the second part of the fourth season of "Oz" will begin airing Jan. 7 With the return of "Oz" and "Survivor" in both January, 2001 will start with a bang.