10th Street turn arrow topic of IUSA resolution

Proposal wants disabled represented on advisory board

At its bimonthly meeting Thursday, the IU Student Association discussed a variety of resolutions, including recommending a turn arrow be placed at a busy intersection on campus and support for students with disabilities be extended.\nTreasurer Steven Bierly, a senior, put together a resolution suggesting a turning arrow be placed at the intersection of 10th Street and Fee Lane after he received complaints from many students that they were frustrated with the congestion at the intersection.\n"It is a great idea, it would be a intelligent move," Collins Center Sen. Jeramy Foltz, a junior, said.\nBut the bill was tabled until next meeting so the group could put together more information about making the change.\n"This will help us inform people that there is a issue on hand, and then we can inform the appropriate authorities about the issue," Bierly said.\nUniversity Architect Robert Meadows said IU is restricted by what the city wants. Meadows explained that if any changes are to be made, the city must first do a traffic study to determine the use of the street and then would decide what measures need to be taken. He said he does not know of any such study done by the city, although he said IU has done a related study and found the traffic counts are very high on 10th Street.\nMeadows said University planners have come up with a few plans to combat the problem on 10th Street, including a plan to create a two lane, one way road north of the railroad tracks, running west, allowing through the Route 45/46 Bypass. They would then change 10th Street into a two-lane, one-way road going east. But Meadows said the city is not receptive to the idea.\n"There is no question we need another road," Meadows said. "We would really like to resolve this ... 10th Street is a mess."\nAnother campus change proposed at the meeting was to increase the accessibility for students with disabilities, to increase awareness of issues facing students with disabilities.\nIn the resolution, IUSA suggests that Dean of Students Richard McKaig add a Disabled Student Services representative to the Student Advisory Board membership.\nOff-campus Sen. Debbie Cooper, a senior and the bill's sponsor, said some changes on campus have already been made.\n"This is a appropriate resolution to show support for the University, so that even more advances are made," Cooper said.\nThe bill passed 28-0-0 in Congress.\nIUSA had several other resolutions on its agenda concerning internal issues. A resolution to amend the bylaws and add responsibilities to the student body president, including monthly meetings with the highest ranking officers of designated student governing organizations called by the president, was passed 29-1-1. The meetings will primarily serve so these groups can share their ideas with one another.\n"Communication is the No. 1 priority," said IUSA president Meredith Suffron, a senior. "Presidents will talk about what they are working on, and we will be able to communicate and really talk to each other"