Young team looks to add depth to Buckeyes

Women's basketball team confident about conference, look to NCAA tourney

Ohio State women's basketball coach Beth Burns starts her fourth season in the Big Ten with confidence the Buckeyes will be the most successful team in the league.\n"There's not a coach in this league that doesn't think they're (going to the NCAA tournament)," Burns said. "Realistically, we all have big strengths, and it's going to come down to that."\nLast year, the Buckeyes finished 13-15, but had the youngest starting line-up in the conference. Three freshmen and two sophomores started, and nine of the 13 players were underclassmen.\nThe underclassmen also had to step up last year after junior Tomeka Brown and senior Jamie Lewis were injured. The Buckeyes played 15 games against opponents who qualified for the postseason.\n"We had six first-year players a year ago and two ACL injuries," Burns said. "We were very competitive, but we were inconsistent. We had a very good off-season, and I am confident that we can continue to be competitive."\nTrue to Burns' word about starting strong, the Buckeyes are off to a 3-0 start. The team added new opponents to their schedule this year but kept in-state rivals Cleveland State and Bowling Green. The Buckeyes traveled to Alaska to compete in the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout, where they outscored opponents 175-124.\nA big strength to the Buckeye line-up is the return of 1999 Big Ten Rookie of the Year, sophomore center LaToya Turner. She was the No.1 scorer for Ohio State last year (11.2 ppg) and has 94 total points in five games played this season.\nSophomore Courtney Coleman shot 50 percent from the floor, the second best on the team, and shot a team-leading 52.9 percent in Big Ten play.\nAnother bonus for the team is the return of senior co-captain Jamie Lewis. Lewis has suffered two acute cruciate ligament injuries and missed a majority of last season but returned to the line-up this season.\n"Jamie has razor sharp focus," Burns said. "She's had a terrific off-season, and when your senior co-captain works that hard, it affects everybody."\nJoining Lewis in the backcourt is guard Tanya McLure who started 13 games last year. McLure averaged 16 minutes last year and finished second on the team in steals (36) and assists (67).\n"Tanya and Jamie had phenomenal springs," Burns said. "They shattered records and have been great for each other both as challengers and supporters of one another. They've done extra and that's how you get good."\nThe Buckeyes recognize the strength of the Big Ten but are confident they have what it takes to compete.\n"We expect good things," Lewis said. "Our practices have been good, and we are making sure to take care of No.1, which is us."\nBrown agreed.\n"There isn't a negative to point out about the team," Brown said. "We won't know until the Big ten season starts. But we're looking good"