Volleyball faces 2 crucial matches

It's crunch time for the volleyball team as it faces Wisconsin and Northwestern at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, respectively, at the University Gym. \nThe Hoosiers are 14-10 overall and 5-9 in the Big Ten. If IU wants to be considered for the NCAA tournament, it needs to win these matches.\n"Wherever we finish in the Big Ten will determine if we get into the tournament," senior outside hitter Amanda Welter said. "It puts a lot of pressure on us, but when you have more pressure on you, you know what you have to take care of. We know we have to win."\nThe Hoosiers are aware of how important the weekend is. The team only has six matches left on their schedule, and three of its last six matches are against ranked teams.\nThe Hoosiers are 0-7 against ranked teams this season, and Wisconsin is ranked No. 4 in the USA Today/AVCA Top 25 Coaches Poll. The Badgers are on a 10-match winning streak and lead the Big Ten in victories. \nThe Badgers defeated the Hoosiers Sept. 23, 15-12, 15-3, 15-12. \n"Wisconsin has a legitimate shot at making a run at the national title this year," assistant coach Dave Boos said. "They are very strong team. Northwestern has the ability to beat anyone in the Big Ten, and we know we have our work cut out for us this weekend." \nIU was victorious against Northwestern earlier in the season. The Hoosiers defeated the Wildcats in four matches, but Northwestern has shown the ability to upset teams. The Wildcats upended No.11 Penn State in September, but that was the last Wildcats win.\nThe Hoosiers split their matches last weekend. They lost to No. 7 Minnesota in three consecutive matches but managed to rebound Saturday night for a win at Iowa. IU hopes to continue its intensity in order advance to the postseason.\n"We played really well this past weekend," Welter said. "It was two games in a row where we all played together and did what we had to do. (Tuesday's) practice was really good, and you can tell that everyone's in desperation that we have to perform."\nThe Hoosiers concentrated on their defense in practice this week. Wisconsin leads the Big Ten in hitting percentage (0.278) and kills per game (17.73). On the other hand, IU has put up strong offensive numbers in the past few matches. Welter had her 300th kill against Minnesota for the third season in a row.\n"We're pretty positive and confident this week," sophomore outside hitter Hillary Toivonen said. "We just need to take everything we've done, and show that we have improved, and that we are better. It's disappointing that it's taken this long, but we know we can go in and play well."\nThe team hopes the home court advantage will help its situation. The Hoosiers are 0.500 against teams in the conference at the University Gym, but have lost six out of eight matches on the road. \n"It's always great to be home," Boos said. "Road trips are always so tough in the Big Ten that being back with four matches left is really exciting. I hope we have a nice size crowd that comes out and supports us"