Michigan women's team confident for new season

Wolverine women talented again, but not ranked

Michigan's women's basketball coach Sue Guevara puts her teams expectations of the season like this: "We don't hope we'll win, we know we'll win."\nThe Wolverines weren't given a second glance as strong contenders at the beginning of last season, but a trip to the NCAA tournament and a second place finish in the Big Ten made the team a force to be reckoned with.\n "We set a lot of records and milestones last year," Guevara said. "I think we can build on that this year. I am very pleased with the condition of this team. We are very confident."\n Last year, the Michigan women's basketball team made it's first appearance in The Associated Press Top 25 poll, and finished the season No. 25. \n But similar to the start of last year's season, the talent of the Michigan team has been passed over by the polls. \nThe Wolverines graduated two of their top players, Alison Miller and Stacey Thomas. As a senior, Thomas was Michigan's first player to earn All-American honors, and led the team in scoring, rebounding and steals. \nDespite these losses, the team returns three starters, and eight letterwinners and adds a strong freshmen class. \n"There is a lot more depth this year," senior guard and co-captain Anne Thorius said. "I have great confidence in this team. We know what to expect from each other, and this team works hard."\nThorius is the glue that holds the team together, Guevara said. Thorius and junior guard Alayne Ingram return to the backcourt for the Wolverines. Ingram had 12.4 points and 2.4 assists per game, while Thorius averaged 9.6 points and 3.9 assists per game. Combined, they made 159 three-point shots.\nFor Michigan's inside game, it looks to junior forward Raina Goodlow and sophomore center LeeAnn Bies. Goodlow played in all 30 games last year, starting in the last 22, and was selected to the Big Ten Coaches All-Freshman team.\n"I am very pleased with what I see," Guevara said. "(The returning players) worked hard over the summer. Everyone seems stronger and quicker."\nThe team opens its season against No.8 Lousiana Tech Friday night.\n"We want to better than we were last year," Ingram said. "I think opening against Louisiana Tech is good. We have the opportunity to make a statement"