Aesop\'s lyrics \'Float\' above the rest

Hip-hop's metaphorical king, AesopROCK, has a lot to say on his first label-supported album, Float. The 20-track LP offers some of hip-hop's most interesting lyrics to date. Float's production has its ups and downs, but overall, the beats prove to be a perfect soundtrack for Aesop to confuse us with.

AesopRock
Float
Mush Records

Upon first listen, Aesop's voice will have you reaching for the stop button. While many insist on a Saafir comparison, I prefer to describe his sound as comparable to that of a young Andre the Giant with a wicked case of strep throat. Once listeners get past the shock from Aesop's voice, they will quickly notice the omniscient-feeling nonsense that Aesop calls lyrics. Through Aesop's extremely complex and metaphorically poetic rhymes, he forces the listener to try to get to know him. Understanding what Aesop is trying to say involves a lot of intense, yet rewarding listening, which might not be suitable for all. Simply put, Aesop doesn't waste a single word on Float; he always has something to say, whether the listener can recognize it or not. Joining Aesop on lyrics are Atom's Family's Vast Air, Rhymesayers Slug and Anticon's Dose One. AesopROCK's lyrical performance on Float is reason enough to listen, yet the beats aren't lacking. While Aesop has obviously mastered the art of emceeing, he is not as versatile with his style as the handful of others amongst his rank. This leaves Aesop searching for the perfect beats to complement his lyrical style. With each beat presenting its own distinct sound, Aesop has put together the perfect soundtrack for a near perfect album. Float isn't your everyday collection of music. With all genre classifications aside, if nothing else, this album presents some of the most in-depth song writing in recent memory. Aesop would have even Woodie Guthrie and Townes Van Zandt raising their eyebrows with his lyrical performance.