Volleyball seeks end to losing streak

The volleyball team has an opportunity to jump start its season this weekend as it takes on Illinois and Purdue at home. All three teams are 1-5 in conference play. \n"These are two very beatable teams," sophomore outside hitter Hillary Toivonen said. "We hope to come in this weekend and show them that we are better than what we've performed."\nAfter a win against Northwestern, the team has been unable to make anything happen against any other Big Ten team. Until now, they hope.\nA year ago, IU was in the same situation. Its record floundered, but the team played hard, won both matches and finished the season with a trip to the NCAA tournament. IU hopes for the same turn around this weekend.\n"If we get these two, it's going to build momentum, and it will help us so much," freshman middle blocker Melissa Brewer said. \nThe Hoosiers realize this is the biggest chance to re-group. The focus in practice has been on conditioning, so that the Hoosiers can keep their poise during the fourth and fifth games of a match. \nAgainst both Michigan and Iowa, IU had good chances to win, but setbacks in the fourth and fifth games cost them the matches.\nLike IU, the Fighting Illini jumped to a strong start in pre-Big Ten play, but produced few wins since. Their lone conference victory came against Purdue.\n"Illinois is a good team," coach Katie Weismiller said. "They've got more offensive power with middle blocker Betsy Spicer and outside hitter Shadia Haddad." \nThe match against Purdue is not only big because of "Pack the House," but also because the Hoosiers have won seven out of the eight matches they've played against Purdue at home. \n"Purdue is a scrappy team," Weismiller said. "They run down a lot of balls, but they are not as offensively sound as Illinois. (This weekend) the team with the least unforced errors will be the team that wins"