True confessions from a 'Dawson's' addict

\"Dawson's Creek" might not be what a television critic would call "quality." Maybe it doesn't have "good ratings" or "intelligent plot lines." So "Dawson's Creek" is "sappy" and "unrealistic." Wait, scratch that, I think I've been watching too many of those Chris Farley news commentaries on the "SNL: Best of Chris Farley" tape my friend recently gave me for my birthday. Back to the real review. \nI am sure it would be very easy to just watch one episode of "Dawson's Creek" and rail on it. For all of the aforementioned ailments, the show will never win an Emmy or get critical respect. But I really don't care about that. I watch "Dawson's Creek" for the simple reason that I'm addicted to it. \nMaybe I just have an addictive personality. I'm also addicted to cigarettes, food, InStyle Magazine and another WB teen drama, "Roswell." But, then again, millions of other young people are addicted to "Dawson's" also. Web sites for the show and the show's stars, Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson, James van der Beek and Michelle Williams, flood the World Wide Web. \nThere must be something about the show. Something only teens and people reliving their teen years vicariously through the characters can see. It doesn't seem to appeal to anyone else. \n"Dawson's Creek" has been plagued with low ratings lately, making its future about as murky as that water that's been standing in the big ashtrays outside of campus buildings for a couple of months. \nThe best way to figure out why one is addicted to something is to figure out what would be lacking in his or her life if said substance were removed from it. Let's look at what we "Dawson's" fans would be missing if the show was to be tragically murdered by evil ad execs. \nWe would miss the sexual tension that radiates from each of the characters on screen. We would be forced to seek out sexual tension in our own lives (too much work) in order to fill the void left without "Dawson's." We'd miss the chance to see Jen (Williams) rapidly flip-flop from being the wisest character on the "Creek" to being the most immature. \nWe'd miss the chance to see Dawson's parents having sex on the couch. We'd miss the surprisingly realistic lessons about rampant high school homophobia from the point of view of the show's gay character, Jack (Kerr Smith). We'd miss the angst and the love and the self-reflexive humor. We'd be left with only our own much less interesting adolescent memories. We'd miss the chance to make fun of Dawson's (van der Beek) ridiculously bitchy frowns and grimaces. \nMost of all, we would miss one of the greatest love triangles to ever grace the small screen. Last year, Joey (Holmes) fell in love with Pacey (Jackson) and left the ex that couldn't let go, Dawson, high and dry. All three had been best friends for most of their lives. \nI'd be willing to bet the farm that those who watched Joey and Pacey agonize over their feelings for each other last season would riot with at least the same intensity of the Bobby Knight fans who uplifted the fish from Showalter Fountain last month if they were not allowed to see the Joey-Pacey thing play out naturally. \nThere is way too much vicarious emotion placed in this relationship for anything less. There are even petitions online pleading with producers to save the couple from what inevitably happens when TV lovebirds get too comfortable with each other. More than anything else, the natural chemistry between Holmes and Jackson is what keeps sucking me and many others like me back into the show. \nLet's assume that the the show doesn't get cancelled, that avid fans keep it alive. Does it matter to us what the critics say? Will I ever be embarrassed by my love for the show? As long as I get my weekly fix, anyone can say anything about the show and I won't care. I am in full and complete acceptance of this one particular addiction. \nI wouldn't be surprised, however, if once my friends finish reading my devoted and serious contemplation on the merits of "Dawson's Creek," they stage a full-out intervention. Maybe the next time you hear from me, you'll get the complete sob story of my recovery and the road to progress for a "Dawson"-free me.