Randle El continues to impress

Hard work ethic leads to quarterback's success

Defensive tackle Paul Mandina, a fifth-year senior, has witnessed many players passing through the IU football program since he arrived in Bloomington, but none like junior quarterback Antwaan Randle El.\nMandina, like everyone else, is aware of Randle El's athletic ability. Mandina also knows it's not just athletic ability that separates Randle El from other players.\n"Yeah, he's a natural athlete," Mandina said, "but the things he does aren't all natural. His work ethic is by far the best on the team. It's impossible to beat his work ethic."\nThere goes the theory that Randle El just magically shows up Saturdays and wows opponents.\n"People think Antwaan has this gift, which he does, but his gift is in his work ethic," Mandina said. "He goes out there week after week and performs. He's amazing."\nEven someone with Randle El's work ethic and athletic ability struggles. In IU's 52-33 loss at Northwestern Oct. 7, Randle El completed just 18 of 39 passes for 152 yards. A week later at Michigan, Randle El had his worst performance of the season, gaining just 150 yards of total offense as the Hoosiers fell 58-0.\nCritics were beginning to ask if Big Ten defenses -- some seeing Randle El for the third time -- had suddenly found a way to stop IU's quarterback.\nBut like any other team leader and great athlete, Randle El stopped the bleeding, and he did it in a big way. Randle El burned Minnesota for a school record 473 yards of total offense Saturday as the Hoosiers snapped their two-game losing streak with a 51-43 victory. \nRandle El recorded solid passing numbers, completing 12 of 21 passes for 263 yards, but he carried the ball more than he threw it. Randle El's rushing numbers were impressive as he gained a career-high 210 yards on 27 carries.\n"To be able to run the ball and make plays the way I did kind of put them in a bind," Randle El said.\nRandle El isn't surprised by some of his highlight-reel runs anymore. But he did admit some of his runs make him smile when he goes back and watches the game film. \nAfter the game, Randle El, who has received much praise since taking over as IU's starting quarterback two years ago, was a popular topic of conversation. \nMinnesota senior defensive end Karon Riley, an All-Big Ten performer who led the conference in sacks last year, forced a Randle El fumble and intercepted a pass. But like most of his teammates, Riley couldn't shut Randle El down. Riley called Randle El the "best player I've every played against in my life."\nWhen he's at his best, which he was Saturday, Randle El makes everyone around him better. Junior running back Levron Williams, Randle El's pitch man when the Hoosiers run the option, gained 134 yards on 20 carries. On a few option plays the Golden Gophers were so focused on Randle El they forgot Williams stood just a few yards away. \n"I find myself watching him," Williams said. "He's exciting to watch"