Pat Knight takes new job

Former assistant accepts position at Akron

Pat Knight, former assistant men's basketball coach and son of former coach Bob Knight, accepted an assistant coaching position with the University of Akron's men's basketball team. Knight will replace Saint Crawford, who is looking at another position elsewhere. Knight's official start date is Oct. 16.\nKnight said Akron called him last Tuesday about the position and he agreed to a six-month contract. But his ultimate goal is to land a coaching position where he started, next to his father.\n"It's not a recruiting position," Pat Knight said. "You coach but you don't recruit. It's a step-down position but I don't mind. I have to keep my coaching career going."\nJosh Sutter, assistant director of athletic communications at the University of Akron, said Pat Knight is an acquaintance of Akron assistant coach Brian Donoher and that relationship contributed to the decision.\nSutter said Bob Knight is also an acquaintance of Akron head coach Dan Hipsher.\n"We're extremely fortunate and grateful that at this late date we are able to bring in someone who has the experience and knowledge that Pat has," Hipsher said. "With only two weeks until the season starts, it's a great advantage for us to be able to bring in someone who understands the motion offense like he does."\nKnight still has a home here in Bloomington, but he rented a one-bedroom apartment in Akron for the next six months. He is moving to Akron this Friday, but Knight still has some unfinished business in Bloomington to attend to, as well. He said he never quit as assistant basketball coach of IU and that he was fired with his dad. He said he is now waiting to see if he will be paid the rest of his salary. Russell Yates is both Pat Knight and Bob Knight's attorney.\n"I'm still waiting to see what they're going to do with my salary," Pat Knight said. "I signed a contract for the year. I never quit. I got fired along with my dad. No one has ever come and talked to me. I heard it from (trainer) Tim Garl.\n"They're screwing with our lives. I lucked out but it's not the same. It's a step down position-wise," Pat Knight said.\nChristopher Simpson, vice president for public affairs and government relations, had no comment other than he never recalled Pat Knight being fired. Terry Clapacs, vice president for administration, did not return a phone call from the IDS.