'Mental' mistakes lead to 58-0 loss

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- It was a microcosm of one of the longest afternoons in the history of Hoosier football. Although the game was over long before the play, the exchange was representative of the problem that plagued IU all afternoon in its 58-0 loss to Michigan Saturday at Michigan Stadium.\nJust after the Wolverines scored their final points, junior receiver Derin Graham was returning the ensuing kickoff for the Hoosiers (2-4, 1-2 in Big Ten play). Like the team had done all afternoon, Graham hesitated at about the 20-yard line. A split second later, two Michigan players planted Graham before he could get moving again.\nWhat happened next was the story of the day for the Hoosiers. Although it is understood the Wolverines have superior natural talent, that talent wasn't the decisive factor Saturday.\n"I don't think it was physical," junior defensive end Kemp Rasmussen said. "I think it was more mental."\nThere are plenty of reasons that could have caused the mental breakdown. There were nearly 111,000 fans at Saturday's game. The game was also a regional telecast on ABC. With all of the media attention, all the distractions were in place for the Hoosiers to make a number of mental blunders. And they did.\nOn their second possession, IU drove a considerable part of the field as they trailed 3-0 early on. Junior quarterback Antwaan Randle El converted a couple of third downs with two passes to senior receiver Versie Gaddis. Then things fell apart for IU.\nRandle El threw a soft pass into the flat for sophomore fullback Jeremi Johnson. The pass was perfect, but Johnson wasn't. The ball slipped through Johnson's hands and into the grasp of Michigan junior cornerback Todd Howard at the Wolverines' 34-yard line. \nMichigan took the ball and marched down the field for its first of many touchdowns. Although they were down 10-0, the Hoosiers were still in the ballgame. Once again, they drove down the field with ease. But, once again, IU was its own worst enemy. \nOn second down deep in Michigan territory, junior center Craig Osika airmailed a snap out of the shotgun formation over Randle El's head. The play put the Hoosiers in a third and 45 situation -- one teams don't plan for. IU coach Cam Cameron had Randle El punt the ball. Randle El did just that, but the ball went into Osika's back for a two-yard loss. \nFreshman Ryan Hamre had his punt on fourth down blocked and returned for a touchdown by Wolverine junior Marquise Walker. \n"You can't beat anybody playing the way we did (Saturday)," Cameron said. "No excuses."\nMichigan coach Lloyd Carr called the play one of the game's big moments that enabled the Wolverines to put some distance between themselves and IU.\n"That was a big play -- maybe the turning point," Carr said.\nRandle El said his team played well during much of the first half. But, in the end, the Hoosiers' own errors led to their downfall.\n"They got the momentum, and we couldn't get it back," Randle El said. "We were moving the ball, but then early turnovers killed us and put our defense in bad situations."\nOn the Hoosiers' next possession, Randle El fumbled the ball off junior running back Levron Williams' hip. Michigan scored quickly again as they posted 35 points in the second quarter alone. They had three scoring possessions lasting less than 30 seconds.\nAfter the game, Randle El was asked what he could do to help his teammates keep the faith that things will get better. Randle El said he is confident in his teammates, but doesn't know where things will go from here.\n"The belief factor of the team is all right," Randle El said. "I'm not sure what we're going to do as captains."\nSaturday's mental collapse might have left Randle El without answers, but Cameron said he knows one thing that needs to happen; he knows who is responsible for this weekend's debacle.\n"You saw the same thing I saw," Cameron said. "The head football coach needs to do a better job. I'm accountable"