Marvelous3 have commercial potential but earn no real respect

Ready, set, go. Or in the case of the horny radio rock trio the Marvelous3, it's ReadySexGo. After hitting it big two years ago with its one-hit-wonder, "Freak of the Week," one would think that these guys are getting plenty of action. But judging by the fact that their liner notes portray the guys in compromising situations with mannequins, it seems that they have a little too much built-up testosterone.

Marvelous3
ReadySexGo
Elektra Records

The Marvelous3 could be classified as the epitome of radio rock. The songs are packed full of simple catchy hooks and sentimentality. "Supernatural Blonde," the story of a guy who spends 25 dollars at a strip club instead of paying his girlfriend back, is a mindless three-chord piece, just like "Get Over" and "Sugarbuzz." Actually, about every song is like that. If these guys aren't bubble gum rock, then nothing is. As far as radio rock goes, ReadySexGo stands tall. "Grant Park" is a quirky peace that could make all the MTV teenie-boppers jump up and down. Then there's "This Time," otherwise known as "The Marvelous3 do U2." Sad, maybe, but they try. As if the music isn't monotonous enough, lead singer Butch Walker really struggles in the lyrics department. "Someone had a bad day, so they sold your soul on Ebay," he sings. The sad part is this is one of the more intelligent lyrics he comes up with. Overall, the songs all have to do with getting dumped, hooking up or rejection. If Walker is trying at all to come off as a good lyricist he fails miserably -- he just sounds horny. Maybe in some respects it's too easy to be harsh on these guys. They do set themselves up for it, as anyone who plays with mannequins does. In reality, the Marvelous3 do manage to make an album which could be incredibly commercially successful, all depending on how they market and tour. But if these guys want respect, they're going to have to work a little harder to make themselves stand out.