Lecturers discuss coming 'out in greek life' as part of Pride Week 2000

Although he chooses to remain anonymous, he still shared his story Wednesday night, at a lecture called "Out in Greek Life."\nHe joined a fraternity for brotherhood and leadership. He made many new friends, but became depressed his junior year. He felt he was living a lie.\nHe was gay.\nSenior year, he made the decision to come out to his fraternity brothers and was struck by the positive responses he has received.\nThis story and others were shared during the lecture as a part of National Coming Out Day. Pam Freeman, assistant dean of students, was the guest speaker.\nFreeman co-edited a book titled "Out on Fraternity Row" along with IU alumnus Shane Windmeyer. The book presents personal testimonies of gay men in fraternities as well as the reactions of straight men. \n"One of the goals of this book is to make organizations think 'is there anything in my organization that would prevent a member from coming out?'" Freeman said. \nJason Jones, a senior and president of OUT, said many greek events are surrounded around heterosexuality.\n"Greek culture breeds a normal mainstream heterosexuality way of thinking and that makes it difficult to address homosexuality," he said.\nBut Jones said he is hopeful the greek system will change over time.\nGay men join fraternities for many reasons similar to the ones of heterosexual men, Freeman said.\nIf fraternities and sororities went back to the values they were founded on and made it their focus, then gay members would be more accepted, Freeman added.\n"Reading someone else's account can make someone feel less alone -- this was a great motivation for doing this book," she said. \nFreeman shared some of the testimonies in the book with the students who attended the lecture. This led to a discussion and a forum for students to share their personal stories.\nA student who chose to remain anonymous shared her story of the consequences of becoming a member of OUT and being a sorority member. She said she isn't a lesbian but she joined the organization because one of her good friends was a member. Although some of her sorority sisters were supportive, others changed the way they acted around her.\n"I think coming out in a sorority may be more negative than a fraternity," she said.\nFreeman said her next book focuses on homosexuality in sororities. She said it was harder to get stories from women.\n"I don't know if it's because there are fewer lesbian women in the greek system or if it's just not a big issue," Freeman said. \nJunior Amanda Thompson, an Alpha Delta Pi member, said she thinks the greek community might have a fear of homosexuality because the members might not know anyone who is gay.\n"If speakers come and talk to them, I think the fraternities and the sororities could be very receptive to their message," she said.\nSarah Savino, a sophomore, said she was encouraged by Thompson's optimism. Savino came out to her all-female residence hall and the response was positive.\n"I am not the stereotypical girl, and I don't like people thinking I'm straight when I'm not," Savino said. "It would be interesting to go through rush and see how girls would react to me."\nAssociate Director of Student Activities for Greek Affairs Stan Sweeney said the greek community is moving in a positive direction. This year, they have been responsible for starting a program called Pillar. It is a support group for greek members who are gay, lesbian or bisexual.\n"Creating more awareness is key," Sweeney said.\nClick For excerpts from the book "Out on Fraternity Row"