Latex and Lace

Bloomington clerks offer advice in the art of Eroticon attire

What's the most important thing to know before you go to Eroticon? If you go, dress well, dress up, dress like you've never dressed before.\n"I tell people to go an extra step. Whether it be adding an accessory, taking off that extra piece of clothing or adding an inch to their makeup, pump it up that extra level," says Kelly McBride, Director of Lascivious Exhibitions, the organization that proudly brings Eroticon to Bloomington every fall -- including 9:30 p.m. Friday at Axis Nightclub. \nIt's no coincidence that Eroticon comes so close to Halloween every year.\n"We look at it like it's an erotic Halloween costume. Just like you wouldn't wear your Halloween costume to a regular party during the year, you wouldn't wear your Eroticon costume to a normal night at Axis. This is not a normal night at Axis," McBride says. \nAlthough the costumes generally have a no-holds-barred attitude, there are a few things to keep in mind when choosing one.\n"What most people who plan to be there the whole night should remember is to dress comfortably," says Tony Brewer, Music Director for LE. "You want to be moving around and dancing, and there are very few places to sit down, so definitely a comfortable costume and comfortable shoes are very important."\nIt is also important to remember that this is a legal event, which means that no less than a g-string and pasties (for women) are required. \n\"Liquid latex has been popular for a few years -- it's like a second skin, it just coats your body," says Leslie, a saleswoman at Totally Naturail Romantic Adult Gift Oasis, 825 N. Walnut St. "As long as the legal bits are covered, people are getting away with as little as possible, but doing it with style, I'm glad to say." \nAlthough it is by no means the only way to go for Eroticon costuming, S&M-themed clothing has been a dominating (no pun intended) style at the event.\n"Everyone's tastes seem to get a little darker around Eroticon," Leslie says. \n"Pretty and dark have been meeting very well lately," Jaime, another sales clerk, says as she points to a black latex bodice. "It's nice because it used to be that you were a homemaker or a whore, and now there's a happy medium."\nLeah, who works at Vixen's Lingerie and Modeling, 412 E. 4th St., is one person who wishes Eroticon style would lighten up. Leah admits she's a bit jaded when it comes to Eroticon attire. She's tired of seeing black leather and black latex on all in attendance.\n"Axis is dark and when everyone wears black, there is just a sea of floating heads and arms," Leah says. "I've decided come hell or high water, I'm not wearing black to Eroticon this year; I'm looking for a lime green latex tank dress." \nNo matter what color you decide to wear, Lascivious Exhibitions encourages you to show some effort and creativity. Eroticon is $10 for those in costume and $20 for those not. There is over $1,000 in prize money for the costume contest. \n"About four-fifths of people dress up, and I would be very sad if it was the other way around," McBride says. "I would say dressing up is extremely important, and the reason for that is people come to Eroticon to see and be seen"