It's about time

Football earns first win against ranked opponent since 1993

The football team's best week of practice this season resulted in IU picking up its biggest win in the coach Cam Cameron era.\nAfter getting embarrassed 58-0 last Saturday at Michigan, IU (3-4, 2-2 in Big Ten play) recovered Saturday to defeat No. 22 Minnesota 51-43 before a Homecoming crowd of 30,882 at Memorial Stadium. The win marked Cameron's first victory against a ranked opponent. IU's last win against a ranked team was a 10-0 victory against Michigan State in 1993.\nA team meeting called by the seniors and captains last Sunday set the tone for an intense week of practice. The Hoosiers practiced at game speed starting Tuesday, and the intensity carried into Saturday's game.\n"It was by far our best week of practice," junior linebacker Justin Smith said. "There were just more serious attitudes this week in practice. It showed up today. They still scored too many points, but it's good to get a win." \nIU's defense once again yielded many points, but unlike previous games, it made big plays. The Hoosiers forced turnovers on consecutive defensive plays with less than eight minutes remaining in the game. Minnesota (5-3, 3-2) was held to field goals in the first half on three drives ending inside the Hoosiers' 10-yard line \n "You wonder why you haven't done it all year long," said senior defensive tackle Paul Mandina. "It kind of takes some motivation like a whooping last week to step and try to play at the next level." \n Junior quarterback Antwaan Randle El recovered from a poor performance at Michigan with one of his best games in an IU uniform. Randle El's 473 yards of total offense set a school record and his 210 rushing yards marked a career-high.\n "He is simply the best player I've ever played against in my life," said Minnesota senior defensive end Karon Riley.\nRandle El made a number of highlight reel runs, but his biggest play of the game came on special teams. With 1:34 remaining, Randle El recovered Minnesota kicker Mike Albert's onside kick, securing the victory. The ball took a high hop after traveling 10 yards, but Randle El made a nice play to scoop it up.\n"I think they wanted to blast the quarterback," Randle El said jokingly when asked about his recovery. "I wanted the ball kicked to me so I could get the ball in one hand and cover it up."\nThe Hoosiers' offense didn't waste much time scoring Saturday. IU's longest drive of the game was its opening drive, which lasted 4:18 and ended on senior wide receiver Versie Gaddis' diving 24-yard touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone. None of IU's other six touchdown drives lasted longer than 2:31 and the Hoosiers had four touchdown drives lasting less than two minutes.\nIU used a balance attack, confusing Minnesota's defense. The Hoosiers accumulated 611 yards of total offense with 366 rushing and 263 passing. Junior running back Levron Williams had his second 100-yard rushing game of the season, gaining 134 yards on 20 carries. Gaddis also had a big day recording 155 yards on six receptions.\nThe Hoosiers lone turnover occurred midway through the fourth quarter. Riley hit Randle El forcing a fumble, which was recovered by Minnesota defensive end Greg White. But IU got the ball back three players later when junior quarterback Sharrod Wallace intercepted a Travis Cole pass.\n"We gave ourselves the opportunity to win this game in the team meeting our seniors called last Sunday," Cameron said. "I wasn't at the meeting, but I tip my hat to those guys. This wasn't about coaching, this was about leadership.\n"They just found a way to do it. We weren't perfect, but we made enough big plays to win"