Hoosiers seek upset at Ohio State

IU to tries to recover from Penn State loss

Freshman outside hitter Monique Pritz must not be a big fan of ESPN2. Upon learning that the volleyball team's match Saturday at Ohio State would be nationally-televised, she deadpanned "Oh really?" A shrug of her shoulders accompanied her unsuspected interrogation.\nWhether the presence of a major network shakes IU or not, the match will be seen -- tape delayed -- Sunday.\nIU (12-7, 3-6 in Big Ten play) dropped its first mid-week match of the season Wednesday at Penn State, a three-set stumble to the defending national champions.\nNo. 11 Ohio State (17-1, 7-1) welcomes the upset-minded Hoosiers, trailing Big Ten leader Minnesota by only a half-game. The Gophers handed the Buckeyes their only loss of the season last weekend.\nThe prospect of upending a national power in front of a nationwide audience plays right into the Hoosiers' hands, coach Katie Weismiller said.\n"It's fun," she said. "But we're focused on the game. The outside elements don't bother us."\nThe shining lights and nerves might not disturb the Hoosiers, but Ohio State's gaudy statistics could cause concern. The Buckeyes lead the conference in kills, assists and aces, and sit in the top five in digs and hitting percentage.\n1999 Big Ten Freshman of the Year Katie Virtue returns for coach Jim Stone, in his 19th season in Columbus. Virtue leads the league in assists, with 14.25 a game. Heavy hitters Dana Stearns and Sue Calligaris spearhead OSU's offensive attack, both hitting above 0.350 and stamping out more than three kills per contest. \n IU, meanwhile, used an option-oriented attack to pick up a pair of wins over the weekend, but couldn't find the same production against the Nittany Lions. \n Weismiller added Pritz to the mix last weekend and has steadily increased the 6-footer's playing time. Pritz notched five kills and five blocks Wednesday. \n "I'm getting my confidence back," Pritz said. "I've been able to help the team because I can get up quick and use my blocking skills."\nWeismiller will likely continue to go to co-Big Ten Player of the Week and senior Amanda Welter, sophomore Hillary Toivonen and the freshmen duo of Melissa Brewer and Nicole Hill, all of whom have helped IU's balanced attack. Pritz plans to give that offense, as well as the defense, a boost. \n"She's physical," Weismiler said of Pritz. "She's a big blocker."\nWeismiller said she enjoys the television presence, and said it tremendously helps her recruiting efforts. IU has appeared on television in front of regional audiences before, but this is its first national attention.\n"It's good for the whole Big Ten, (for any league team to be on television)," senior Laura Dewitz said. "But it doesn't affect us on the court. I'm sure I'll be getting some phone calls from people telling me I'm on TV"