Hoosiers end Big Ten season with loss

Women\'s soccer team shutout in final conference game

The women's soccer team ended its Big Ten season Friday, losing a 1-0 game to Purdue.\nWith 3:35 remaining in the first half, Purdue freshman back Jenny Kinkead put the game-winner past keeper Chrissy Heubi. That would be all that the Boilers would need as IU extended its scoreless streak to 463 minutes. It was the eighth time the Hoosiers have been shut out in the conference season.\n"Basically, we can't score," coach Joe Kelley said. "There's no continuity there; there's nothing in the front third, and we need players who can score. We get up there, and our last touches are so bad. The ball just bounces 10 feet from us."\nThe Hoosiers had a few chances to get back into the game, but Kelley said he felt like they should have had more.\n"We had 10 shots, but we should have had 20 or more," Kelley said. "The last touch before you shoot the ball just gives the ball away. It's not like they took it away, we gave it away. They scored on a defensive mistake and we couldn't score if we had to."\nSenior forward Kendal Willis had a breakaway opportunity to tie the game but was taken down in the box by a Purdue defender. Despite Willis' pleas, no foul was called.\n"I was mad because (the referee) was yelling at me to get up," Willis said. "It's sad to keep saying that we're unlucky, but there has to be something more than that now."\nDespite losing the game, Willis said she felt like the team should have been the ones on the victorious side.\n"I think we dominated, and I think we came out there like we wanted to win," Willis said. "We all worked hard, but I guess you have to go a little further than working hard at this level."\nPurdue coach Robert Klatte credited his team's ability to create chances for the win.\n"We created enough opportunities to win the game," Klatte said. "That's been our struggle all year. We've played a lot of tight games, we're just not scoring enough goals."\nKlatte also said the IU-Purdue rivalry became a factor during the game and boosted the intensity levels of both teams.\n"Indiana was hyped up because of the rivalry," Klatte said. "If you've gotten nothing else to play for at the end of the season, then you have that to play for."\nLosing to Purdue brought the Hoosiers final Big Ten record to 1-8-1, putting the team near the bottom of the conference standings. \n"It was just frustrating," freshman back Shelly Gruszka said. "We had our opportunities and we didn't put it away. It's a game you want to win, obviously, against Purdue."\nThe Hoosiers will close out the 2000 season with a road game Thursday at Cincinnati, followed by a home contest against Kentucky Sunday.\n"I'm sad because it's my last year, and I'm done with Big Ten play," Willis said. "But we still have two more games left to play. The season is definitely not over yet"